Thursday, October 2, 2008

A whole new world....

So after really hurting after a 5k on Saturday, and a rather disastrous 8 mile run on Monday, I finally sucked it up and went shoe shopping. I went to a different store and the selection was much greater. I went to this place because it's run by a guy with a PhD (I assume in exercise phys or the like), and being the science-minded person that I am, decided that this meant he Knows What He's Doing. I was therefore a little disheartened when I entered the store (in a house...really cute actually...if you're ever in Mandeville, Louisiana check out Varsity Sports) and found that the salesperson helping me was....a 15 (ok maybe 16) year-old girl.

Now nothing against kids, but I was just a little skeptical that someone so young would really be able to assess my gait and judge by my height, weight, ability, and intensity of training what shoe I should be in. But I was wrong! She watched me walk, and asked what I had been wearing recently. When I told her the Asics Kayano 14, she immediately said she thought that that was way too much stability for me, with a pretty neutral arch. I 100% agree, as that shoe feels like running on two bricks (to me), and has hurt my feet (specifically the inside of my ankle) since day 1. And I never mentioned to her that it wasn't working out for me.

So with my new found trust she proceeded to show me several models. I hate the process, because how do you really tell which is best? I tried to not get wrapped up in the look, but it's so hard! I am slightly vain, and do want something that is both functional and stylish. This is something I find majorly lacking in most women's shoes. Seriously, why are they all so ugly??? WHY do designers choose those colors? And why, please tell me why, does everything have to be metallic? I hated most of them, but tried not to let this get to me and hope I made a decision based on function. With the many suggestions from others, I tried on the Asics Axiom, Asics Nimbus, Brooks Glycerin, Saucony Trigon Ride, and some Mizunos the girl grabbed. I was disappointed they didn't have the Pearl Izumis, as those had been recommended as well, but I'll try 'em on if I ever see them anywhere.

I finally narrowed it down (actually based on fit!!) to the Mizunos and the Asics Nimbus. The Nimbus was only available a whole size too big, but seeing as I'd read that you should get running shoes at least a half and up to a whole size larger than you normally wear I didn't think about it too much. They felt a little bulky, but nice and soft, which was something lacking in the Kayanos. I worry that I may not have been fair to the Mizunos since I have never worn this brand before, but in the end I went with the Nimbus.

Yesterday I went for 3 mile run and it went great! The miles were 10:49, 10:04, and 9:18, so I'd say they should work out for me. I had NO foot pain after, which I had become accustomed to, but my knee was a little tweaky. This went away towards the end, and I think it may just be a matter of getting used to shoes that don't hurt.

The great part is that they are the older model, so they were 30% off! I figure if they work out long term I can then get the new model a half size smaller. Hopefully I don't trip! We'll see this weekend.

I also finally took some pics (that my husband was supposed to upload last night and didn't grr...) of the trace where I run. I'll put them up soon. I also got a new ipod! Finally some running with music! I broke the last one at some point in May, and have been running tune-less since. I have actually really enjoyed the serenity and the chance to focus on nature and my form and breathing...but 9 miles is a long time to be introspective (for me anyway) so some distraction will be nice. Plus for better or worse I run faster with music.

So the big question is what do you listen to? I know this has been asked a trillion times, so if any of you can just point me in the direction of some of these discussions that would be great. I like fast music for running, and don't really like country (during running) for that reason, but all suggestions welcome...I need to freshen up my playlists!

1 comment:

Runner Leana said...

Yay for new shoes! I have nothing for a playlist to run by since I've run with an iPod three times in the last two years...