Monday, October 6, 2008

25:39!!!!

Yep, that's right. A new 5k PR!! By almost 2 minutes! I cannot begin to describe how excited I am by this...Saturday morning was REALLY warm, and my hopes of coming in under 27 minutes were dwindling with each sweaty minute before the start of the race. I also had some digestive complications which sent my running to the restroom 3 times before the start...I was slightly worried I wouldn't even be able to start the race, let alone PR.

Something that may have helped was that I had a fan for the first time! My husband was finally able to come to a race, and I think it really inspired me to try my best. He was also able to get a couple of pictures, which I'll put up here when I get the chance. It was really great to have him there for my best race to date, and I hope he can see many more. I came in second in my age group, so I got an age group award also but haven't been able to pick it up yet because I had to leave for work.

I worked 7 hours and then headed off for race number two...(I know can you believe it? A new PR and my first two-a-day...). This was another Oktoberfest race and luckily I could partake in the free beer at this one! This was a much larger race, and after the morning's efforts I wasn't able to keep the same pace (26:49 for the 3 mile course), but it was a lot of fun and it felt great to still have energy after doing two races (albeit short ones). They had great technical shirts at this one also. I really wish more race directors would realize that most people would pay a little extra to have a shirt they can actually run in rather than another men's t-shirt to throw in the closet. (That's my other irritation- if you must do a t-shirt can't you at least have a women's cut and a men's?).

So in all it was a good weekend. 9 miles on the calendar for today, but it might get a little dicey...I am coming down with something and have the worst sore throat (clarification- if I ever mention a sore throat it will always be the worst. I hate sore throats!!

1 comment:

Runner Leana said...

Two races in a day? And a PR? Nice! Congratulations on the new record!