Thursday, October 23, 2008

"To use the word 'try' is to quit with honor...."

Tuesday night on Biggest Loser I heard that phrase, or something like it. I wish I could remember exactly what was said. They were doing some challenge and one of the participants said he would 'try'...the trainer responded with that. I don't know exactly what he said because I was watching while making dinner (mmmm....sausage and pasta!) but it stuck with me nonetheless, and came in handy yesterday when I started thinking around mile 3 that I would try to do six, but might walk at 4 or 5. It worked, and I made it the whole six.

I've been wanting to walk a lot lately, I've noticed. My legs never feel great, and usually hurt. I know this is because I don't stretch. Ever. I know this is awful, but I hate it. It hurts, is boring, and I just don't have time :) I know you will say, 'but if you stretched regularly, it wouldn't hurt, and running probably wouldn't hurt either'....but I just can't get myself to do it.

My plan for today is to try to stretch and do core exercises (my other MAJOR weak spot) during commercial breaks of Survivor. I always read that this is a good use of otherwise pointless advertising time, but I tend to tivo everything, so I fast-forward through commercials. Always. Even if I'm home I tape shows and start watching them about 20 minutes late so I can speed through all the useless commercials. But tonight I will change that, and see if I can get myself to stretch if only in 3 minute increments :)

Does anyone have any other advice on how to cure sore legs? I never used to have this problem. In the past my speed and endurance was dependent on respiration, not muscles. Lately I find I never get out of breath, just my left knee, both hips, and sciatic nerve are all irritated. I still don't think I've found the perfect shoes either, so this could be contributing. The one thing I am good about, however, is icing, so hopefully that's helping a little.

In 21 Day Challenge news, things are off to a good start. It's amazing how much more substantial meals can be when you stop wasting your daily calorie allotment on snacks! Now if I could only cut out the wine...

1 comment:

Runner Leana said...

Hmmm, how many days a week are you running? Are you getting any rest days? Maybe you just need a massage. Truthfully, I'm not a stretcher either, butI can't say that I think it impacts things too much.