Monday, October 27, 2008

First skipped race :(

So I feel a little guilty that this past Saturday is the first time I've skipped a race I planned on doing. It was only a 5k, but was my last practice before trying to hit under 25 minutes November 1. I basically can't do speedwork on my own (I know- it's in theory possible but it just doesn't happen), and it was also for a good cause so I feel bad :(

I had everything all laid out the night before, but worked late and found myself heading to bed at 1. The race was at 8, and I hadn't registered, so I was planning to get there at 7:30, so up at 6:45 = 5:45 hrs of sleep? No good. I was exhausted all week, and fretting about this caused me to still be watching the clock at 1:30.....which led to me switching my alarm from 6:45 to 9:30. Oops.

So I felt a little guilty. But that being said, I oddly don't regret it. I have 11 miles scheduled today, and just felt I needed the sleep. So I slept in, went to work refreshed, and felt great all day. I tried to squeeze the 5k in before the wine party I had to go to that night, but that didn't go as planned.

I tried to imagine it was the race, and figured that in 5ks I pretty much just go with the crowd, which is always much faster than my natural pace. In trying to imitate that, I found myself at the half mile mark at 3 minutes, with a cramp in my heart. I swear, in my heart.

Or at least that's what it felt like. So I quit, went home, and went out to drink about 2 bottles of wine, with loads of nicely paired food....ugh. So no calories burned, and about 3,000 in....not looking good for my 21 day Habit Challenge of eating healthier and knocking off a couple of pounds. :( Hopefully better news tomorrow, after I have achieved my new longest distance of 11 miles!

1 comment:

Aron said...

dont worry!!! sometimes you really just need the extra sleep! your body needs its rest!