Tuesday, October 28, 2008

11 miles....check!

Yesterday was actually cold. Yes, I know- I thought the day would never come. I had 11 miles on the schedule (a new longest distance for me!) and I was so glad I wasn't going to have to do it in 80 degree heat and humidity. I did, however, make the mistake of thinking I could still get by in shorts and short sleeved shirt, and was actually freezing!

Miles 1-3 I took slow and steady, and finally by the third felt as though I'd hit some sort of rhythm, something that has been missing from my running for a while. I started to feel really good, but kept it slow so I could finish the whole thing.

Miles 4-6 were also good. I hit some ground I've never been on before which was great. The direction I'd headed out on the trace is my usual, but previously I'd always turned around at mile 4 (since 8 miles is the furthest I've ran before this, outside of races!). It was clean and crisp, and the sun was shining, I felt fantastic. And this was even with my ipod with my husband at work....grrr! I had to do 11 miles with no music. But it was actually so peaceful. I had time to do so much thinking and organizing. I realize I do miss those runs without music where you can focus and concentrate on the task at hand, and alternatively plan your next day, your evening, etc.

By mile 6 I was a) happy I was more than halfway done, and b) freezing. My knees started to ache, and it wasn't even soreness, seriously I think it was from the cold! So I was thinking, great, finally some cold weather and my legs are still aching! I had this vision in my head that running would be effortless as soon as it cooled off. But you know what...it still pretty much was, so I shouldn't complain.

I started playing my game at mile 7, of just trying to make each mile a little better than the last. By mile 9.6 a crazy headwind picked up. All I could think was please God why now! I felt like it was taking all of my energy to go forward, and my arms and knees where numb.

Finally I hit my street, and started to walk as soon as I hit 11 miles. It was that weird walking...you know, like right after a race where running seemed so natural and then you try to walk and feel like you're going to fall over. I stumbled to the house, and went in.

It was the first time in AGES that I wasn't pouring sweat. I should have weighed myself before and after, because I'm really curious how much water I lose with no hydration. I know it's bad, but I just haven't figured out a good way to deal with that yet, and I really really don't want to carry anything with me. As for nutrition, I ate a Power Bar Energize Smoothie bar in Berry Blast about 45 minutes before I went out....and I have to say it was disgusting....but did the trick, I guess, because I wasn't tired.

My legs were sore last night, but nothing serious. I wish I'd had more time to ice, but I usually do, so once won't kill me. I do think that was probably my last afternoon long run. I just don't have the energy then and it's usually right before I have to head back to work, so I think I will have to start making room on the weekends.

Anyhow, the miles went like this: 10:50, 10:28, 10:12, 10:05, 10:02, 10:11, 10:15, 9:57, 9:54, 9:51, 9:41. So clustered really nicely, and almost perfect negative splits. What I'm learning is that while I may never be fast, I am a really good pacer.

Next up...12 miles Sunday! But first, my Saturday attempt at a sub-25 minute 5k....

6 comments:

Nitmos said...

That is a very strong negative split! No wonder you were winded. Nice job!!

No Longer Using said...

YAY Brooke!!!! 11 miles and goin strong, way to go :) nice breakdown. it feels good to get the distances under your belt, i was amazed at how proud of myself i was after getting in 10 and 11 miles. be so proud!!!!!!!!!!! would you prefer to run with someone for longer runs or prefer to do these solo?

Aron said...

awesome job!!!!!! congrats on the 11 and those splits are amazing!! way to pace :)

Marcy said...

Killer job on that 11 miler! Very nice.

GOOD LUCK on that sub 25 5k!! ;D

Laura said...

OMG I hope you are okay and didn't get badly burned!

Runner Leana said...

Nice job on that 11 miler - those splits were impressive! Not to be a mom though, but you should try to figure out a way to carry water with you because dehydration is a serious issue. Once you start taking gels on longer runs if you don't have it with water your stomach will absolutely rebel. Waist packs take a bit of getting used to, but they aren't that bad. If you really don't want to carry anything what about dropping some bottle off at points along your route?