Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Yesterday I ran...ok, very slowly jogged.....

8 miles. Not the best running I've done, but 8 nonetheless. It was really hot, and my shoes were killing me, but enough excuses! I forget exactly what my time was, but I think around 1:31? Or 1:32? I believe the miles were roughly 11:50, 11:51, 11:36, 11:38, 11:57, 11:50, 11:33, 11:18. What's that add up to? 1:33:33? That's probably about right...I'm sure of the first four miles and the last two, but I forget miles 5 and 6, although I know they were under 12 minutes. I had hoped to start out slow and then pick up the pace, but it was WAAYYY too hot. I ran the whole 8 though, only stopping at 5.8 to grab a drink from a fountain and use a restroom. And everyone is right- drinking really DOES help! Imagine that. I never carry water or stop on runs, because once I stop I'm done for, but yesterday I had to, and it really helped the last two miles.

I made a crucial error right from the start. Normally I head out on the trace to the right of my house, heading roughly south. This puts the sun to my right, and by afternoon it's usually low enough to be below the tree line, so I am, for the most part, in the shade. You never realize what a difference shade makes until you are in the full Louisiana sun. Ugh...I headed left instead of right, which heads North initially but then curves in the center of town heading due west. This meant almost no shade, running straight toward the sun. I went this way thinking it would be better because the other direction hits a main road at 3 miles. I knew I had to go four before turning around, and that road is a huge pain in the *** to cross. No one let's you go, which GREATLY annoys me, since they would only have to pause a minute. It sometimes causes me to stop for over a minute...both killing my time and my motivation to keep running. Needless to say the other direction is out of the question also, so I may have to get more creative with my routes.

I'm actually considering finding some trails. I used to run Bishop Peak when I lived in San Luis Obispo, and I really enjoyed it. Of course finding hills around here is impossible, but hiking trails exist, I'm sure. I think it may help my heel-ankle-knee issues to run on something soft...that and the new shoes I will hopefully get today! Any last minutes suggestions very welcome.

You may have noticed something new in that last paragraph...I have learned to link! Yay! (At least I think...let me know if it doesn't work). This opens up a whole new world of possibility for me, so expect to see lots of links and pictures in the future!

So anyway, 9 for next Monday, which I've only done once before, so that should be interesting...and then 10 on the 12th of October, which will be a brand new distance for me!

2 comments:

Frayed Laces said...

Great job on your run! Way to rock it, chicka!

Runner Leana said...

Good job on your run in the heat! 8 miles with minimal water in the heat though? Yikes! Have you looked into a Fuel Belt or some other kind of bottle holder? If you can bring some water or Gatorade with you it will help a lot. Plus 8 miles is around the time when I start using a gel on my run.