Thursday, October 16, 2008

I am le tired....

...to borrow from my favorite animation. Really. I feel very uninspired this week. I guess the 10 miles on Sunday took more out of me than I thought. Tuesday's 3 miles were ok. I actually felt the urge to pick up the pace and pass a guy running just ahead of me. I felt like I had energy and went through the three pretty quick, but then I was wiped out.

On Wednesday's 5 miler I just felt kind of blah. I tried to keep it slow so I wouldn't tire, but after 3 I really felt dead. My left knee was hurting, and FOR ONCE I decided to listen to my body and walk a bit. I ran/walked the fourth mile, and then was planning on walking the 5th, but halfway through a good song came on and I decided I could handle jogging the last half mile. My knee had stopped hurting and it actually felt pretty good. My legs were really tired that night at work, however, so I think I'm not getting enough rest.

Yesterday's 3 miles were the same. Didn't have much energy...first mile 10:02. Felt a little better in the second, and it took 9:33. The last mile I think was on track for the same, but at about .6 miles in I tried to turn it on a bit and it was 8:40. This is only good because seriously the first .6 were probably at a 9 1/2 minute pace, so that last .4 must have been pretty quick (for me!).

Regardless all this so-so running has left me uninspired for the weekend. I was planning on a 5k Saturday morning, but my body is begging for a sleep-in day, and I think I'll run 6 on Sunday, so not sure if I'll do the 5k afterall. Actually I'm not sure about my schedule at all. Technically I have 6 on the calendar for this week, then 11 next weekend, but I have a lot more free time this weekend....so I'm considering switching them? Not sure if it's a good idea, though, since I think the reason for the step-back this weekend is obvious from the fatigue I feel. Whoever makes those schedules up must be familiar with how first-time-marathon-training runners feel a couple weeks in.....it must be time for a long run break? I have no idea...I'm strictly going off the advice of those that do!

I actually think part of the reason I want to do the 11 miler this weekend is that I'm anxious to try gels. I have never tried them before (or any during-the-run nutrition), and I'm not expecting to like it, but I am hoping for a brief boost in energy. Any advice on flavors/brands is definitely welcome. I bought two yesterday, but would obviously only try one on the 11 mile run. I picked up Tri-berry and Chocolate Outrage (I think those were the names?). I am a total chocoholic, so I thought I would love that one, but I was disappointed when I got home and looked at it to see that it has only 20 g of carbs (compared to tri-berry's 25), and 2 g of fat and 3 g of sugar! Fat is something I'm not looking for in a gel, but again, all advice on personal experience with these and other gel flavors extremely needed! Has anyone tried the plain? That just sounds so disgusting to me...like snot or something...(shiver), but considering I had a hard time stomaching even the gatorade on Sunday maybe plain's the way to go?

In other news the Red Sox SOMEHOW managed to eke out a win last night. Really, where did that come from?? I went to bed depressed at 10:30 and they were down 0-7 in the bottom of the 7th....and I wake today to find they somehow pulled it out 8-7??!! Go Sox!

Good luck to you all who have races this weekend!

2 comments:

Aron said...

great job on the runs!! sometimes we just go through weeks when its harder than others.

when i used to use gu i used the chocolate one - tastes like frosting :) (gu hurts my tummy though). now i use luna moons which are YUMMMM... you have to chew them though. but they have electrolytes in them too which gu doesnt.

Frayed Laces said...

You should stick to your bump-down weeks. They are there to keep you from getting injured. If time is a factor, rearrange your runs and do your long run one weekday early in the am so you won't have to worry about it on the weekend.