Saturday, October 11, 2008

5 servings of Cheetos Puffs and 4 beers

Yep, that's right...that was my pre-race carbo load dinner. :) Probably an absolutely horrible idea that I will pay for tomorrow, but hey, that's what I was in the mood for.

I'm thinking of following it up with some merlot and junior mints, but haven't yet decided. It is 10:40, and I have to be up in 7 hours, so I should be thinking more about sleep than the creamy deliciousness of Junior mints (which are made by Tootsie Roll Industries, did you know that?) but what can I say? I relish self destruction :)

Seriously though, what good thinking on the company's part to come up with two perfect Low Fat Foods. And they probably weren't even thinking about diets back in the fifties when they came out! Back then people were perfectly happy (and even aspired!) to be rounder.

Alas, that is no longer the case, so I eventually have to crack down on my binges ;( In terms of racing, though, I figure it can only help me during the training process. If I will eat like this, not drink any water and sleep too little, and then do a 10 mile race at 7:30 am (an hour drive away), I can go no where but up! I mean, I might be slow as sh*t tomorrow, but it will only look that much better when I rock the half marathon in a month, huh? No? Come on! Shut up and let me enjoy my warped way of thinking! :)

So for tomorrow I am hoping realistically (given today's turn of events) to finish at about 1:40, but let's say my reach goal is 1:30. Totally doable on an ordinary day, but maybe not this day due to my excellent choices so far. The one smart move I made is that I actually took yesterday and today off from exercise, and I didn't even work last night! That is a big step for me, because as I've said, I dig a schedule.

I eat exactly the same thing for breakfast everday (oatmeal right now), rotate between two lunch choices (lean gourmet lasagna or progresso chicken noodle soup), and between two dinner choices, "my salad" or "my stir fry". I say this because I will call my husband on the way home from work and say, "make my salad" or "make my stir fry".

They are both simple. The salad is romaine lettuce, 1/4 of an avocado, a couple teaspoons of honey roasted almond slices, 1 oz. of sliced Cabot sharp cheddar cheese, and Olde Cape Cod fat-free balsamic vinegarette dressing (I know I spell vinegarette wrong but like I said before shut up!) and one glass of Kendall Jackson Sauvignon Blanc. I emphasize glass because in this day and age (and back in the 60s) that meant about 4 or 5 ounces, but that is ridiculous so I use large wine glasses and fill it the brim, so my glass is an easy 8 ounces if not more. But it sounds so much better to say that I have one glass rather than two (or let's get real- three!)...so I may buy the glass that they sell in so many wineries that holds a whole bottle (hint hint, Christmas is coming if any of you are planning on buying me something...haha). "My stir fry" is even easier. A whole bag of stir fry veggies, about 10 medium frozen shrimp, Miracle Shrimp Seasoning, and a 24 oz Bud Light. Seriously (for some reason I prefer the 24 to two separate bottles or cans). And my husband knows that when I order either of these two meals, all parts are necessary or I will flip. Nothing annoys me more than to get home to "my salad" and have there be no avocado. As I've mentioned before, how does anyone live without avocado? But I digress.

The point is, I am a creature of habit and like a schedule, so two days off was a stretch for me, but I needed it. I ran the night I hosted the Around the World Dinner Party (aka an excuse to drink too much wine on a weeknight), albeit only 3 miles. And guess what? I was still sick Thursday night and Friday, so maybe I've finally learned my lesson. I now feel good, so hopefully tomorrow's 10 won't suck the life back out of me.

And yes, I am now drinking merlot and enjoying Junior Mints. But come on- it's Saturday night, and if this is the highlight of my week that's pretty sad, so you should let me enjoy it. At least until tomorrow, when I'm sure I'll be hating life. But I'm pretty sure I did the same thing last weekend, and I PRed in the 5k then, so maybe it's a good thing? Speaking of which, finally the photo evidence that I did PR:

and a couple others from that morning:




In other news I finished the second book in the Twilight series, and am at least intrigued enough to read the third. I've also finally caught up on Heroes, though I'm now so totally confused (after the 9 month lag between seasons) that I have no idea what's going on. Survivor and the Hills are, as usual, annoying me, but I will watch nonetheless.

Now, however, I have to force myself to go to sleep. I am ridiculously tired, and it is 11:30 and my alarm will go off at 5:40. Ugh. Wish me luck....ten miles will be a new Longest Distance for me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck on the run!

And wow, a 25 min 5K. I have yet to achieve that, but hopefully soon!