Thursday, September 25, 2008

Running after 'adjustment' = bad idea....

Now that I have tried it three times, I have definitely decided that running after seeing the chiropractor is a bad idea. I did it last Wednesday, and then Monday and yesterday of this week. I was advised against this practice, but hey- I gotta get the runs in and my schedule is pretty tight! I do think from now on, however, that I will avoid this. On all three occasions I left the office feeling looser, more energetic, and basically just in the mood to run. However I would find that my neck felt kind of unstable, and that after a couple of miles kind of compressed.

I think basically what happens is that the chiropractor does his snap crackle pop and loosens everything up, spacing out the bones and probably starts to make progress on breaking up my scar tissue (from an old car accident) and realigning everything...and then I go and pound on the pavement for an hour jarring everything right back to where it was. I have had bad headaches after this, so have finally learned (I know- after 3 times!) that maybe this is a bad idea. You think?

Regardless, I ran three yesterday, and in the legs anyway, felt stronger. I am still soooo slow, but the miles were 11:19, 10:48, 9:37. I can live with that, since I am trying to start slow. I have a 5k Saturday, so that will be a more accurate test of my 'speed' (or lack thereof). Today I want to do four, and it's so cool outside today I'm hoping it will go well. Maybe I'll drag my husband with me....though it will annoy me that he'll bounce along as if it's no effort even though he never runs...on second thought I probably won't bring him :)

Survivor is also on tonight, so I may have to rustle up somewhere to watch it. My satellite (due to foliage) only gets local channels in the winter. I know, this is ridiculous and I plan to switch to cable in November, but it's humorous none the less. Seriously...for two years we've noticed that our local channels and international channels (my husband is Peruvian) only work once the leaves fall off the trees. The fact that we've put up with this for so long is funny, but we did have a two year contract...

No comments: