Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I am a push-up weakling!

So yesterday was to be a light training day, and I had promised myself I wouldn't run even though I sort of wanted to. I did that last week (running day after my long day) and I ended up with blisters and felt slow and sluggish....so wanted to sort of rest/cross-train. (If you can call it that!).

One of the things I wanted to do was the test for the 100 Push-Up Challenge. Can I just say I am a total upper-body weakling? I thought I would probably be able to do around 8-10....I can do 2! Of course I can cheat and do more, but perfect form, lowering all the way down...2. Pathetic! This greatly disappointed me, so I did a bunch of cheater pushups, and then went out to try to clock the actual distance I did Monday without the garmin. Needless to say, hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have better news about the push-ups!

I had better luck with my distance from the other day....I had estimated it at 7 miles, and it was actually 7.26! Yay! This makes me happy for two reasons: 1) running 8 this weekend will only be .74 more, and how easy is that? And 2) my 82 minutes don't seem quite as slow now that an extra 1/4 mile is thrown in. So this was good. I just drove to a known distance from my house and clocked the extra bit I had done on the garmin.

After walking the 1.5 out and back, I went home to do some 'strength training'. This should be interpreted very loosely, as my dedication for anything besides running outside of a gym/class setting is sporadic at best. I lose interest very quickly when no one is there to see me quit. For instance lunges....from my living room to the kitchen and back is good enough, right? Squats...I'm sure that was about 30 seconds (actuality 10)...and so on. So after about 10 minutes of half-hearted exercises I did my 30 minute pilates dvd. I have only done this a couple of times since getting back into things, and I am still pathetic. I have to quit on the teasers, can't straighten my legs during any of the exercises, and have zero core strength it seems. I would be really depressed by this, except that my experience with pilates is that flexibility and strength come back really quickly with a few sessions.

So that was all the exercise I did...and today I'm totally sore! How sad is that? But I guess I have to do some core and upper body stuff at some point. Today 4 miles is on the agenda, and hopefully I can loosen up then. (And hopefully the garmin has charged...I've had more problems with that thing having a low battery...).

Unfortunately nutrition didn't go quite as well yesterday....I ate exactly what I had put on my daily plate, which was 1,282 calories...plus I ended up stealing little bits of chicken as I made a chicken salad for work...two beers, some chips and salsa, three bites of my husband's ice cream...ugh! I hate the way all those little things add up! And I wasn't even hungry...just bored, I guess. So I need to add those in, and then I will be around 1,700 I imagine. That would be ok on a big run day, but not for yesterday. :( Oh well....it's all a process, I suppose. Unfortunately today won't be any better...it's a coworker's birthday, so we always do potluck for lunch. Too much yummy stuff to turn anything down. I've already had a piece of pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling (think pumpkin bread rolled in carrot cake frosting. Yum!) and am desperately trying to avoid another piece...Can't wait to see what lunch has in store. I brought chicken salad, but it has mayo AND sour cream, so it's no better. At least the pumpkin loaf was made with splenda ;)

So yeah...improvement needed all around. The only thing that doesn't need improvement right now is my TV schedule!! I know, it's horrible, but can I just say how glad I am to have ANTM (that's America's Next Top Model for all you non-fans), The Biggest Loser, Survivor, Heroes, The Island (the latest in MTV challenge drama!) and The Hills all back on the air? Not to mention that John and Kate Plus 8 (my total cheesy weakness) had a 'before they were 10' episode of John and Kate from when they met until when they had kids (twins then sextuplets??). My husband hates that I watch this show, but I just can't help it. I love the way they constantly fight, and I love seeing two people actually manage with 8 small kids. I would curl up in a corner and cry. I am in awe!

2 comments:

P.O.M. said...

My favorite quote is that I'm in a constant state of self improvement!

Good job on the run!

Laura said...

We seem to have all the same shows as guilty pleasures! I love cheesy reality television, especially when you add televisionwithoutpity.com into the mix :)