Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Things are looking up....

Yesterday turned out to be a good day after all. I went to the chiropractor after work, which now (my 4th 'adjustment') scares me just a little bit less, and I felt pretty good when I left. I had told myself all day yesterday that I was going to run 7 in the afternoon, since I didn't do it (as scheduled) over the weekend. As the day went on I became less sure of this, as even though it was the first day of fall it was still really hot and humid here. I had a great six mile run last Tuesday, and I think it was due in no small part to cooler weather. So I was nervous about it, but I forced myself to do it.

It started off ok, and then about a mile in it became cloudy and a little breezier, which I was so happy about! Unfortunately this didn't last, and by the third mile I was dying, really struggling. I thought there was no way I would make it. I was tripping and chafing and pouring sweat. I was really wondering if it was possible for a raise in temperature to not only cause me to overheat, but fatigue my muscles? I just couldn't understand why it felt SO HARD. I also didn't have my garmin, which is a major motivator for me. I love to beat my time on previous miles, making each one faster. I thought that the trace (a paved running and biking trail I train on) had mile markers through the whole length, but the disappeared 2.75 miles in, so I had to estimate the last .75 before turning around. I think I hit the 3.5 or maybe a little past...not sure. I'll have to go back today and check to see just how far I went. Anyhow- I felt soooo tired and just kept thinking I was going to keel over from heat stroke, so I tried to slow the pace. I just couldn't believe 3.5 miles was so hard?? I made it to 5.5 without walking, then during the last 1.5 had four walking breaks. The first two about 30 seconds each, the last two about 1 minute each. But I made it back! I would have been really disappointed, but I stumbled to the backyard to check out the thermometer (which is in the shade), and it was still 84 degrees at 5:30 pm! So given the temp and humidity I'll cut myself a break :)

In other good news the 10 miler I was complaining was cancelled was rescheduled in another town for the next day....so Yay! I won't have to go into the 1/2 marathon on Nov. 23 with no recent longer races.

Maybe things are starting to shape up....running is a little easier, and thanks to the Daily Plate I'm getting nutrition under control...though I wonder- does anyone else find the calorie recommendations (for consumption) and the calorie deficits (for exercise) really high? It tried to tell me that for my height and weight with my level of activity I should consume 2,900 calories a day to lose a lb a week!! Please. Try gain 2 lb a week....and it also said my 7 mile run (at about 5.2 mph) burned 1,100? I don't think so...I had always been taught that no matter how fast you go you only burn around a hundred calories a mile. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Hmmm... I've never been to a nutritionist (though I play one on tv- just kidding) but I was reading somewhere else that the caloric intake one needs is actually much higher than we think of usually. But again, who knows. I do know that I would bet my caloric intake is higher depending on how hard I'm running, so a fast mile will take more calories/effort than a slow mile.

Thanks for the link!