Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Three Rivers Art Festival 5k

So all last week I barely got any sleep. I had a couple of functions at night, sometimes I worked, and sometimes I was just up reading or watching TV. I usually get by on fairly little sleep, but generally I have at least a night or two a week where I can try to get a full 8 hours. Last week I think I did the entire week with around 6 per night. Ugh. That is too little for me, and by the weekend I was dragging.

After my 14 miles on Friday, I went out with girls from work for some wine tasting and to check out a new wine bar. It was fun and it wasn't a late night. I headed home around 11, and should have gone straight to bed. Instead I ate a crunchwrap supreme my husband had leftover from taco bell. :( Those things have to have about 800 calories...so depressing to undo all the calorie burning I did on my run! I stayed up reading and probably didn't go to bed until 1...then had to be up at 7:30 to get ready for a a Saturday meeting at work before having to work a double.

I got home from work at 10:30 or so, but again, probably didn't make it to bed until 1. So when the alarm went off at 7:20 for my 5k, let's just say it took EVERY OUNCE of will power I had to get up and head out. Especially since it was like 30 degrees! That is the coldest it has been here yet this year. I hit the gas station for some coffee since my husband broke the carafe to our coffeemaker the day before, and headed over to the art festival.

I didn't know exactly where it was, and had a couple of moments of panic trying to find it and having to go to the bathroom REALLY bad. Luckily I came across it eventually, and ran over to registration. I registered, hit the disgusting Port-o-Potty, and was at the line ready to go freezing my butt off.

And hoping for under 25 minutes. I thought I should have a shot; at the Crescent City Classic 5k a couple of weeks ago I hadn't given it my all, and extrapolating my 23:55 time for 2.95 miles to what it could have been for a true 5k I think it would have been just over....So I thought I could do it. But as soon as I started I knew this wasn't going to happen. It was tooo cold. I couldn't breathe, my lungs were aching and felt frozen, and there were hills! I should have remembered that from a 5k I did in this part of town last spring, but I had forgotten. Granted when I say 'hills' that needs to be taken with a grain of salt, because there aren't REALLY any SERIOUS hills in Louisiana, but there was just enough rolling up and down (mostly up on the way back!) that I knew my shot at under 25 was blown.

I finished in 25:48, a big disappointment, but I guess the circumstances predicted it. It was the first 5k in ages, though, where I didn't PR, so I wasn't happy about it. With my mileage increasing I figured I would only get faster at these short distances. To be fair, though, I don't do that much speed work so I don't know why I would expect that I should be fast.

Anyway, I did win my age group! And a door prize! I have been lucky lately, I'm telling you! I swear, powerball here I come...

10 comments:

No Longer Using said...

holy moly! you won your age group and a door prize! woman! hahaha. hey i here ya on the sleep thing. it's interesting b/c as soon as you said: i got home at 11 and should've gone to bed right away but ate such+such.... THAT is the story of my life. i have gotten into this bad habit of eating instead of sleeping... and it keeps me up til 12 or 1 when i should be going to bed at 9 or 10! the thing is i don't always fall asleep and it's my time to unwind but... it's a really bad habit. if you ever come up with any steps to a solution for this please share!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcy said...

Hey!! A win is a win!! You still did a fantastic job! You can't ask for more given the circumstances, right? ;-)

Charisa said...

Hey - winning your AG is awesome, even if you didn't PR!! I'm the same way with sleep - need enough or I feel crappy :)

Denise said...

Congrats on winning your age group!! That's going to be one of my goals for next year. As for sleeping...I get 8-9 hours a night and that's not enough! I could sleep at any given moment...

P.O.M. said...

Winning an age group is awesome.

(Yes, short is a major no-no for me, too. I need the guy to be bigger and taller than me!)

B. Kramer said...

Nice AG win on no sleep! That's how I like to run my 5-Ks. Good luck on the lotto.

Nitmos said...

Age group wins are nothing to snort at. Congratulations on that! Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to gain speed other than through speedwork.

X-Country2 said...

An age group win? That's FANTASTIC! Congrats!

Runner Leana said...

You won your age group? Awesome! Sounds like you've had a busy and tiring week. Sorry you didn't PR, but it sounds like you had a terrific race regardless!

joyRuN said...

Congrats on the AG win! Your time is great given you've been getting by on so little rest.