Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Clarification

Ok. So thank you all so much for the congrats yesterday regarding my age group win. But let me clarify- the 5ks I do around town are very small. The bigger ones have about 200 people, smaller about 100. So if you guesstimate even sex ratios, there are usually only between 50-100 women, then dividing those by age groups...you see what I mean. I'm just usually not up against that many other people. But hey- a win is a win and I'll take it!

Because I wanted to be faster, however, I went out for yesterday's 7 miles intending to push myself a bit. I find that I prefer to run anything over 3 miles totally in my comfort zone. I don't like wondering if I'll make it to the end. I tend to run at a pace where I don't even need to open my mouth to breath. In thinking about it, I'm assuming this means I'm not pushing myself enough. So yesterday I tried a little harder, and the result was: 9:45, 9:17, 9:14, 9:13, 9:05, 8:52, 8:34. I actually felt like I could've done one more sub 9 mile too, so maybe there is hope for under 2 hours at my half marathon on Sunday? I hate to say that, because I know I shouldn't have any goals for the first one, and that's a pretty serious goal (about 13 minutes under what I predict I can do it in), but we'll see. I would be just as happy about 2:05, so maybe that's more reasonable.

12 comments:

No Longer Using said...

will you be watching your times for the race as you are running? i would say make under 2hours your goal and focus on it cuz it sounds like you are right there!!

Unknown said...

Hi, I saw your comment on Absolut(ly)fit about Vicki and I wanted to say I agree, she's terrible! Good luck on Sunday, I think you can make it in under 2 hours.

Runner Leana said...

Small race, big race - a win in your AG is fantastic! That was a really well paced 7 miler you had! Based off of your 5K times and general running pace I think you should definitely be able to pull something off around the 2 hour mark. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Brooke!

Marcy said...

Don't sweat you're first. REALLY! It's not like you're planning on quitting after this HM are you? ;-) Plenty of time to improve. You'll get to where you want to be, if not this HM the next one ;D ;D

Marcy said...

sorry I meant "your", ACK Jess will probably cringe :P LOL

Denise said...

I didn't know you were running a half this wknd! Great!! Good luck with it!

And yes...a win is a win! Enjoy it!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

The last 5k I ran had a grand total of 68 people in it and I PR'd, and still didn't place in my age group. So that sobbing sound you're hearing coming from the general direction of NJ is me and it's all your fault.

Good luck on your up-coming half, sister! About three weeks ago, I started focusing on training to do a half in early 2009 (even though I have a 5k coming up on Thanksgiving which I may or may not be able to run thanks to a recent injury), and I'm now blaming my current injury on that. Because otherwise I'd just have to blame myself, and that ain't gonna happen. I'm blameless in all this - a victim of soy-cumstance, I tells ya!

So focus on having fun, sister! Bet if you do, the rest of it will find you!

Good luck!

Jess said...

A sub-2 hour could be your "C" goal (A: to finish, B: 2:05 finish time and C: sub-2 hour). That way it's a tentative goal and as you're running the HM, you can guage if you can meet it or not! I bet you can.

And belated congrats on winning your AG! And you're right, a win is a win!

B. Kramer said...

How else would you increase you chances of winning? Run against fewer people! A win IS a win. Good luck getting faster before Sunday. Cheers.

Kelly said...

Best of luck Sunday. Can't wait to hear all about it. I think you can make the 2hr mark, I'll be cheering you on from Omaha! :D Go for it! And, do I see correctly that you're doing another half about two weeks apart from your first? I guess that makes sense cause you'll be all trained up for it.

X-Country2 said...

Go for the 2 hour mark, but don't let it ruin the experience if you don't quite get it. Hey, either way it's a PR!

Good luck

Aron said...

awesome job!!!! gotta love those negative split runs :)

good luck this weekend!!! you will do great!