Thursday, November 13, 2008

Next stop...BodyGlide

So the 7 miles yesterday didn't happen. :( I got home, got changed, and opened the door...to pouring rain. It had been sprinkling on and off all day, but had stopped after lunch, so I thought I might be able to squeeze it in. I headed back to the couch to mindlessly watch Made while I debated doing pilates first or just getting in the shower for work. I checked the door several times, only to see that yep- it was still raining. Just when I had finally become as lazy as possible (and now only had 50 minutes before I had to get ready for work) I checked one more time...

And it had stopped. Mostly. This annoyed me as I had now talked myself out of running, but I forced myself out knowing that at least I didn't have to go the whole distance, because I didn't have enough time. I was planning on 1 easy, 2 hard, 1 easy, 2 hard, 1 easy, but now only had time for 5 miles, so changed it to 1 easy, 1 hard, 1 easy, 1 hard, 1 easy.

The miles went like this: 10:02, 8:29, 9:57, 8:21, 10:24 (where I had to walk for about a minute because of KILLER blisters). I was sad that I couldn't try the 7 miles, but I don't know if I could have done 2 faster miles in a row. I do think I could have done 1 more hard and 1 more easy at the end if it wasn't for blisters. I need new shoes, I have always gotten blisters from these, but usually not until 10+ miles. I think it was because the roads were wet enough even if it wasn't actually raining to soak through my socks.

I have 14 miles planned tomorrow, and I'm even taking a couple of vacation hours at work to squeeze it in in the afternoon before it's dark, so I'll be damned if blisters are going to stop me. Which is why today I am finally going to pick up some BodyGlide. And I'm caving on the dorky water belt too. I really really really didn't want to get one, but I carried a bottle on my 12 mile run and found it very annoying.

Regardless of the how well slicking down my feet goes, I really need new shoes (ugh- again) and good socks. Socks in particular have given me trouble...any suggestions for either of these?

7 comments:

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO! You'll get used to the Fuel Belt. I think everyone goes through the "OMG this thing is so ugly. I hope no one sees me" phase at first. Wear it for a week and you won't even care anymore LOL

Laura said...

You didn't move your blog address or anything? When you commented I realized I hadn't been here in a while and then noticed you were missing from my Google Reader! Sorry for the hiatus.

My Runners' World is sitting unread on my bookshelf at home... need to get to that. However, one question: did they at LEAST mention the participants who did the race drunk/used the race to get drunk? :)

No sock advice - I think mine are sucking too. However, I lasted 4 marathons before getting the dorky fuel belt as a one-time thing (it was a race where I wanted to have my camera), but now I use it every time. It's nice to have all that stuff accessible!

Laura said...

PS - Holy wow The Biggest Loser was CRAZY this week! I don't think I've ever had as much vitriol for a reality television contestant but Vicky drives me absolutely nuts... I am SO into the show now and trying to contain myself from cheering others on audibly (like Stacy) or screaming at Vicki and Heba on TV, because I was at the gym and would have looked like a total nut :)

joyRuN said...

I have the cheapo Champion socks from Target that supposed to be for running, & so far I haven't had any problems.

Can feet get BodyGlided too? I'll have to try that!

I had a little trouble with my refurbished Garmin a couple of weeks ago, but I resolved it quickly (& it seemed to be a common Garmin problem). All my other refurbished electronics have been good so far :)

Denise said...

Get good socks...that's a must. And I put powder in them before every run, no matter how long. Before a long run, I put aquaphor on some problem toes that tend to get blisters.

I love my water belt!! I'm even wearing it for the marathon so I can contol when I want to drink.

Aron said...

you will get used to the fuel belt!! its soooo nice to have but does take a little getting used to :)

i use wright socks and i LOVE them. i always used to get blisters in my arches and hardly get them anymore with those. i also smother my feet with body glide. hope you are blister free soon!

X-Country2 said...

Investing in good socks is a must. I've never tried the body glide, but I've heard great things about it for all places (including toes). Hopefully it helps with the blisters.