Friday, November 21, 2008

TGIFF

I'm sure you can figure out what the extra 'F' stands for. I needed the emphasis. I am so tired, had a crappy run yesterday, and am just soooooo glad I don't have to work tonight.

All I want to do tonight is lay on the couch, finish the rest of Breaking Dawn, and eat junk food. Unfortunately I can't eat junk food, and before I lay on the couch I need to run 4 miles and run several errands. The annoying part is once I'm home I hate to leave, but with it getting dark so early I really need to go home first, run, then do said errands....aggravating!

Oddly, I'm surprised I'm not excited to go shopping because most of the errands are holiday related, and even if I'm wiped out I can usually muster energy for ANYTHING having to do with holidays. I love it; the stress, the lines and crowds, the music...I live for all of it. I know- strange. But I have annoying tasks today, not fun ones. For instance I have to hit BB&B to try to find a replacement carafe for my coffee/espresso maker because that stupid idiot (my husband) broke it. And I have to rent a carpet steamer to get things ready for Thanksgiving because same stupid idiot husband whose klutzy with the coffee carafe is klutzy with everything else, and has spilled anything and everything imaginable in two spots: in front of the couch, and on the floor on his side of the bed. Seriously- the carpet in these two areas is DESTROYED and the rest of it isn't even dirty. Don't even get me started on the suede futon...that thing just has to constantly be covered with blankets he's spilled so much on it! (Mostly water stains, but still looks disgusting).

Anyway, before I get even more stressed out and aggravated by how he is a one-man accident waiting to happen, I suppose I should think of the couple of fun things I have to do. Like picking out wine and liquor and champagne for Thanksgiving! Yay! I come from a big drinking family, and while I know it is sad, I am much more excited about my holiday alcohol menu than the food. Here is the menu:

Brunch:
Coffee, espresso, cappuccino, pumpkin muffins, fruit, BACON!
Bloody Marys (with all the fixin's)
mimosas
pointsettas (champagne, cointreau and cranberry)
bellinis (peach schnapps, vodka, champagne)
flirtinis (vodka, pineapple, champagne)
cranberry bog champagne cocktail (cran and champagne)
french martinis (vodka, pineapple, champagne, chambord)
champagne cocktails (sugar cube, bitters, lemon twist, champagne)
Kir royales (I will substitute chambord for creme de cassis, and champagne)
grand champagne martinis (champagne and grand marnier)

If no one has passed out:

appetizers:
bacon wrapped scallops, chips and dip, cheese and crackers
beer

Thanksgiving dinner:
turkey, ham, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, sweet potato casserole, green beans
chardonnay, pinot noir, zinfandel

dessert:
coffee, espresso, cappuccino, layered pumpkin pie, pecan pie, cherry pie, bread pudding
baileys, white Russians, grand marnier...

Ugh. I don't know if it makes me excited or sick to look at it! As you can see, I have a minor obsession with champagne. When we lived in California, I belonged to the sparkling club at Laetitia, and bought Tobin James Dream Weaver by the case. So I am more than excited to watch the parade mimosa in hand. Of course I will not be sampling all of the possibilities, I just want them to offer. It may also look like a lot of food and drink, but it's for 11 people, so I think it won't be as gluttonous as it seems! My goal is to eat and drink responsibly, try to get a run in in the morning, and hopefully a walk that night. I DON'T want to get overly full, as I did the day before yesterday at our work Thanksgiving. I felt like crap the rest of the day and all I wanted to do was sleep!

So on to yesterday's run....It went horribly. I set out for 4 miles, and wanted to just take it easy because (again) I haven't been getting that much sleep, and right from the start I knew my socks were going to give me trouble. They felt dry and scratchy, like they hadn't had fabric softener or as though they didn't go through the dryer. I had forgotten bodyglide, and my blister flared up immediately. I always have blisters. I hate it; they never pop, just fill with liquid and gradually drain between runs. But this one just in front of my arch on the right foot, is HUGE and painful. So I was feeling that right away, and my legs felt stiff, my neck hurt, blah blah blah...and I quit after 2.6 and walked the rest. Totally frustrating, but I figured at least it was on a short run.

The sad thing is, I'm not expecting today to go much better. Had a whopping 5 hours sleep last night, feel like a zombie, and have too much to do. :( But I really need it to go well mentally, otherwise I will psyche myself out for my half on Sunday. Sigh....

I also forgot to record Survivor last night, so it's an altogether bad day! So cross your fingers my run isn't horrible today, and good luck to everyone with races this weekend!!

12 comments:

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO!! Ooohhhh you sound like my MIL and her sisters with the drinkys during holidays. Always a good time.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Geez, Marcy beats me again, like a rented mule!

Teh 'Bride lurves Survivor! We TiVo'd it last night. And tonight, we'll watch it together. So romantic!

Man, us husbands, huh? We suck, don't we? If I had a dollar for every time Teh 'Bride shook a vibrator at me and yelled, "You can be replaced, you know!" ... I'd be a rich man. It's even more humiliating when she shakes the mailman at me and says that. For him, too, I guess.

Anyroad, I see you are an animal behavorialist, which is ironic, because I majored in animal husbandry at my college ... till they caught me at it.

(I've been wanting to steal that Tom Lehrer joke for years. Your job just afforded me the opportunity. Thanks.)

Have a great holiday and get some SLEEP!

joyRuN said...

I love your Thanksgiving cocktail menu! I also like to make a point of being as sloshed as possible - I'll have relatives to dote on the rugrats so I can act as disgracefully as possible.

AND THANK YOU!!! I was starting to think I was the only one in this blogosphere with a flawed spouse.

Unknown said...

I want to come to Thanksgiving at your house! I love champagne so I'm going to try out some of those brunch recipes. Thanks for sharing

Denise said...

I want to come for the champagne. I love it!! That's what I want for my celebratory cocktails after Sunday!

Lauren said...

I spill everything too. I account for it by not buying light colored clothes or furniture or rugs or anything really. Anything white is just begging for a coffee stain. Speaking of which, I need to wash my lab coat from work. That wasn't my fault though. I got a sub-standard coffee lid from Exxon yesterday. No wonder it's so cheap! Mmmm. Champagne cocktails and bacon.... Can't wait!

Aron said...

i LOOOOVE tobin james :) my first kitten i named tobin!

i am on no alcohol pre-marathon which is going to make holidays with the family very long :)

Aron said...

LOL my cat bailey i have right now is after baileyana :)

X-Country2 said...

Can I come have Thanksgiving with you? It all sounds FANTASTIC!

B. Kramer said...

I approve of your menu. Viper + booze + turkey + pie + football + couch = magic.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Pfftt! I'd rather watch Doug Henning and David Copperfield make out than Viper's version of "magic". Where's the zazz, Viper?

Jess said...

So, how'd ya like Breaking Dawn? Did you go see Twilight in the theater yet? If so, what'd'ya think?