Sunday, November 2, 2008

Almost halfway to marathon distance...

So after my pseudo-successful 5k yesterday, I napped, headed to work, and planned my route for today's 12 miler. I got home late, of course, but thanks to the time change I went to bed at 1 and woke up at 7, but still got 7 hours.

I had some coffee, and a Powerbar Energize Smoothie bar, and was so happy to discover that the orange flavor is SO MUCH BETTER than the berry! I didn't even feel a little bit pukey! So I sat around about 45 minutes to digest, and headed out about ten minutes after 8.

The time change made it nice and bright, but unfortunately also warmer. Regardless, the miles went by relatively easily, with the exception of the guy that stunk. Seriously- I passed this guy coming towards me, and he must have turned around right after passing me and quickly passed me again. Only to then slow down to my pace, about five feet in front of me. I didn't want to pass him and play that back and forth game, so I stayed right on his heels...or should I say his stinky feet? Seriously- I've never been able to smell someone when behind them...the wind was blowing a little I guess, but come on! If I can smell your feet it's either time for some new shoes (or socks) or some better hygiene. Of course I suppose who knows what I smell like after a few miles, but I'm particularly sensitive to the smell of feet....my feet barely sweat and my shoes never smell, but my sister's and husband's are HORRIBLE so maybe it's uncontrollable? Not sure...

At the six mile mark I had a Powerbar gel, in vanilla. It was ok, but I don't think I've hit on the right flavor yet. Any suggestions? I actually carried water this time too, but I still felt a little sluggish. Should it have been two gels? Not sure. The miles went like this:

10:14, 9:49, 9:47, 9:50, 9:48, 10:02, 10:36*, 10:11, 9:57, 9:40, 9:55 and 10:15 average: 10:02

* I stopped to eat the gel and drink some water...still not great at drinking on the run!

So it could've been worse, but I was actually hoping for a little better. The average pace was only 7 seconds faster than my average pace for my 11 mile run Monday, but I did this one in the morning before work so I was actually expecting it to go a little better. I'm also a little disheartened at how much my knees and right hip/glut HURTS after about 7 miles. Hopefully this is just because these longer runs are new to me, and I'll become more confident with time. The last mile was tough, I had to run/walk it due to a crazy ache in my hip....but still.....it was 12 miles! Done by 10, so I can't be too upset.

I had to head to work 15 minutes after...seriously- I ran in the house, iced my knees for 10 minutes and had to jump in the shower for work. I had a food running shift today to, which made things worse...no waiting on tables, just delivering all the food from the kitchen. I normally love these shifts because for once you can zone out and not have too much interaction with customers, but today I was hating life. My shins hurt so bad! So this may be my last long run before work. I might have to figure out how I can take the day off on my long run days.

Anyway- hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday!

4 comments:

Marcy said...

Great job on the run! I probably would've went for 2 gels. I usually down one every 40-45 minutes (this is me, everyone is different. You just have to see what works for you :-) )

Ewwwwwwhhhh NASTY about the dude. I'm always paranoid about what I smell like while running LOL. (Well, when I get close to people to pass them)

Runner Leana said...

Ew, gross about the stinky guy! I haven't tried Powerbar gels so I'm not sure what they are like. I'm a fan of Hammer Gels, although I'm not sure that the vanilla was the best for me on Saturday...

As for the hip and knee pain, some of it is probably due to the new distance. Just be sure to stretch out your hip flexors well during the week as you may be tightening up and hopefully this will help you out on your next long run. Great job on your 12 miler. It is a great accomplishment and you really ran at a terrific pace!

Denise said...

I've tried a few different power bar gels and I've been sticking with the double latte lately. It's really easy to eat on the go since it's thin and it has 2x caffeine. I prefer the ones with caffeine. I also tried alternating the double latte with a carmel (no caffeine)this past wknd because I was concerned about too much caffeine. Carmel isn't bad either.

Aron said...

WOOO awesome job!! i probably would have taken 2 gels... one at 4 and one at 8. i havent tried those gels yet but am looking to get back to gels (currently eating luna moons) and am going to try out a bunch of new ones soon!