Sunday, November 16, 2008

Running IS NOT low maintenance!

Above are all the things I required for my 14 mile run Friday. And here I thought running was nice because it required such little 'gear'. Haha! I suppose I am lucky that I live in the south, at least, or the above singlet and shorts would have to be bolstered with various long sleeve layers, neck and ear warmers, gloves, hat, and potentially tights! Yikes...even more stuff?

So anyway, I had taken vacation time to leave work early enough to get in my 14 miles before dark. (Isn't that pathetic? It gets dark so early now!). So I left at 1:30 planning to be on the road by 10 minutes to 2, so I could be back around 4:15 (I had a friend picking me up to go out at 5). Well, let's just say that didn't happen. I ate a powerbar in the car on the way home...(I was a little worried that this was too close to running, but more on that later). I got dressed quickly and then proceeded to spend 20 minutes messing with the fuel belt.

Seriously. Am I doing something wrong? I put it on (it only velcro-ed), and then did a little test jog around the house. even with only one of the bottles on I just felt the weight of the thing going up and down..all the sloshing was so loud, and no matter where I tried to put it on it either rode up or felt like it would fall off. How do you run with these things? I was sure it was going to chafe or something, so in the end I ditched it and just brought one bottle (in hand), gels in the other hand (yeah, I couldn't even get it comfortable only wearing the belt and the pouch for gels!). I won't lie; there were a couple of tears over this because it was just so frustrating and was eating into my running time.

Finally at 2:15 I started out. I had planned on a slightly different route, but now that I was going to have to carry (and refill) a water bottle, I had to plan it out to go by a fountain. Things were bad right from the start. I had developed a really painful blister a couple of days before, and even with all the faith I had that bodyglide would work, it didn't :( 2 miles in it was already KILLING me and became a mind over matter sort of thing. Later in the run other things bothered me much more, taking my mind off of it. Ironically, it doesn't look that bad, it just really really hurts. I've had others that are all open and like raw meat, that don't hurt at all...so strange.

My stomach was also immediately off, and would be for the WHOLE run. My legs were tired, and I actually thought about quitting several times, but it did give me a little boost each time I thought about it, because I knew I WOULD NOT quit. Yay! I do love the strength to persevere that running has given me; starting something that seems difficult and knowing that I WILL do it. Hopefully it over flows into other areas of my life also.

So I was plodding along really slowly..oh yeah, it was also like 80 on Friday and really humid. Go figure. It's been cold for a couple of weeks and then right when I have a long run decides to warm up. Fan-effing-tastic. I refilled my water bottle at four miles, and was just thinking 'man, how am I going to do this?' I continued along and had an Espresso Love gel by Gu at mile 5. I did not like this. It burned my stomach and made me feel like air was trying to bubble up through but couldn't get through the gelatinous state of the contents of my stomach. Yuck! For the rest of the run I felt like I needed to burp but couldn't without throwing up. Ugh.

I also emptied the water bottle soon after forgetting that I had three miles to the turnaround and then three miles back to the fountain. Big mistake. I think having about 5 miles without water wasn't a good idea. I was really struggling from miles 7-10. Luckily, being past halfway always gives me a huge mental boost, so each mile that went by I knew I was that much closer to finishing.

I hit the fountain again at mile 10, and stopped for probably 2 minutes to eat the Gu Roctane (blueberry pomengranate flavor) and chug some water before filling up and heading out. I also stretched a little which really seemed to help. At this point I knew it was only four more miles and that I could definitely make it. Being in a race against the clock definitely helped too; I had someone picking me up at 5!

I did get a little boost from the caffeine in the Roctane (oddly I didn't see caffeine listed in the Espresso Love, which was the only reason I bought that flavor...could have been there though, I was reading on the run..), and it renewed my energy at least for a bit, but my STOMACH!! Ugh. I though I was going to puke (and almost did) several times on the last 4 miles. I think my eating plan for this day wasn't good.

I had gone to work at 7, and started with coffee. I never eat early, so I had oatmeal at 10. I then had a Yoplait light yogurt at 11 (I've never had dairy before a long run before), and even though I wasn't really hungry had my lunch (one of those lean gourmets) at 12. I definitely wasn't hungry when I left at 1:30, but was worried about my energy level during the run, so I had the PowerBar Engergize smoothie bar in orange. I think this was all too much food. My stomach bothered me the whole run, and then for several hours after! How annoying. I think I will definitely err on the light side with eating from now on.

So I struggled a little the last mile, but only walked from 13 miles to 13.1, and then from 13.6 to 13.7. The good news was I could have run it all, I was stopping at those points to avoid throwing up. I have to check the Garmin for the mile splits, but I think the total time was 2:23 minutes and some change. I had been aiming for 2:20, and I think it would have been close if I didn't walk at all. But it was over and I was happy!

The bad part was I started late (2:15), and then took a couple minutes longer than planned (I had stopped the Garmin twice, once when I filled the bottle and darted in the restroom at 4 miles, and once when I refilled and stretched at 10 miles), so by the time I got home it was 4:45!! I had to be ready to go out (wine tasting, no less) in 15.

I chugged some water, jumped in the shower, and quickly got ready. Luckily my ride was late, but I was out the door at 5:15. We went wine tasting with a group at a wine shop, then headed to my hair salon that was having a customer appreciation night with door prizes and a free cut and color to one lucky customer. They had wine, champagne, and an awesome spread of food. Too bad my stomach was so jumpy that for the first hour we were there I could barely stomach anything.

None of the five of us won any door prizes, but it was still fun and after we headed to a new wine bar/ art gallery in the same parking lot. I had one more major bout of 'oh my gosh I am about to barf' and then finally got over it. I was proud, however, that I tried to stick to my new eating/drinking philosophies, and had peach Absolut and soda water instead of wasting calories on juices and sugar sodas. I also only had 2, (instead of like 5). Yay! Progress!

In review, I learned several things on this run:
1) don't eat too much (or anything weird) before a new distance.
2) even $10 socks and bodyglide might not cure the evil blisters.
3) give more time than you think you need.
4) sometimes stopping to stretch can really help.
5) expect the unexpected from the weather.

On the Gu Roctane- I think I really liked it, stomach issues and all. I think eating was primarily responsible for my stomach problems, and I think the rest could be blamed on the distance. I hear many people talk about not even being able to stomach Gatorade on long runs. As for whether it helped the soreness, I can't really say, as I have never gone that distance before, but I was pretty sore after my 12 miler, so I think yes, it did help! Especially since I had to head out immediately and didn't ice, and I was never sore even a little! They are pricey, but I think it's worth it for the long runs, at least as the last gel you take.

My next long run is the Ole Man River Half Marathon in New Orleans this weekend, and I'm aiming for about 2:05. I would LOVE to be under 2, but I don't think it's going to happen...yet. Maybe by the Baton Rouge Beach Half Marathon on December 6...we'll see. Later I'll fill you all in on the Three Rivers Art Festival 5k, which was yesterday morning...

10 comments:

Marcy said...

Maybe you need another belt? ;-/ (maybe a different brand or type) Or Did you put it on tight enough? I lube my waist with Bodyglide and that cuts down the chafing.

No Longer Using said...

way to go! i don't know anything about belts but i definitely suggest eating a banana before you run. it's my magic food... hehe. i'm always so happy to hear when people just keep going despite EVERYTHING... it's hard and we do it. so congrats yo, you did a great job, be proud of yourself.

Lauren said...

I'm glad you did it. My fuel belt is loud with the water and all, but if you have an ipod, it goes away. Plus I get used to it. Maybe try in on a short run and see how it feels. I put it on over my shirt/shorts and haven't had any problem with chafing.

Aron said...

wow awesome job for finishing up the run even with all that stacked against you!!

the espresso love DOES have caffeine, double the amount of normal gu... not sure what is is compared to roctane though.

i put body glide on my back at my waist line to help with chaffing. also i put the belt on pretty tight and wear it on my hip area. i know the second i start drinking some of the fluids it makes a HUGE difference in the bouncing. give the belt a try on a shorter run, like 5 miles first and then see how it goes. you learn to just get used to it and ignore the thing.

Runner Leana said...

Wow, that sounds like a tough run! I was going to suggest Balega socks as I love those, but I see that was the kind you bought. If you already have blisters I've found that Second Skin (or whatever liquid bandaid product you can find) is pretty good for helping, and if you need some cushioning the specific blister bandaids are pretty good.

As for the bouncing fuel belts, I swear I was pushing mine down on my hips every few minutes on Saturday and it was driving me nuts. I find the little bottles more annoying than a belt with one large bottle though. Sometimes you have to try a few different designs to find one you like. Good luck!

joyRuN said...

Good job on sticking through that run! Sounds like you had to really tough it out - I would've curled up somewhere & given up.

My water belt felt really really awful the first time I took it out. It's gotten better since, & I'm now used to it. I'd still rather not run with it, but at least I don't feel like hurling it into the woods anymore.

X-Country2 said...

Great job on sticking it out! (And not puking at any point. I think that's the REAL accomplishment here. :o)

I've become OBSESSED with pre and post running food, so I hear you on switching up the diet.

Good luck with your race!

A said...

I can't eat dairy on a day when I'm going to work hard, or I have the same stomach issues. I think it's related to lactose intolerance, but who knows? Try Lacey Nicole's banana idea ... it couldn't hurt!

P.O.M. said...

You learned some valuable lessons.
Re: fuel belt, my trick is that I have to wear it very tight and on my actual waist (instead of hips). It looks dorky but it won't bounce around.

Also, Gu might be the culprit for your tummy issues. Gu really messes with mine. I avoid it now.

I, too am a big fan of bananas on long run days. I also eat turkey on plain toast. Weird, but it's the only thing I don't burp up.

healthy ashley said...

I have the same belt and it bounces so much! Are all belts like that i wonder?