Thursday, January 8, 2009

Back...(sort of?)

Well, I am back from vacation. From work and from running. I unfortunately have sabotaged any high hopes I had for the marathon, and am now hoping to just finish.

After 15 weeks of really structured training, Thanksgiving hit and I just fell apart. Not that the busy holiday season should be an excuse, but coupled with a friend's graduation and wedding shower (out of state) and heading back to New England for Christmas things just didn't happen. I did have a half marathon on December 6th, and a 25k on December14th, but neither of those went as well as planned and it all stemmed from missing my first long run the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Looking at my running log I am very sad to see that since my December 14 25k I have run exactly 3 times. :( Here is what happened....I had that race on a Sunday. I took off Monday and Tuesday, and planned to run Wednesday but ended up home sick. Thursday I left for Florida (friend's shower and graduation), and planned to run 17 that Friday. Weeellll.....she is my best friend and we of course caught up until 3 in the morning Thursday night....and had a few drinks...so needless to say it didn't happen. Then her graduation was Saturday, her wedding shower Sunday, and I flew back Monday (after going to bed at 1 and getting up at 5). So I didn't run Monday December 22. Then Tuesday I was busy packing, wrapping gifts and getting ready to head home on Christmas Eve. I thought I could run that morning, but was up late the night before and had to head to the airport early in case of fog on the bridge (a real annoyance to me...when we get warm weather after it has been cold the warm air hits the cold water = fog and the bridge closes to one lane and 35 mph...(from 65)...it's a 23 mile bridge so a huge pain). After several delays we get home at 7 Christmas Eve. No running. No running on Christmas either, or the four days following. I have no excuses for that other than not wanting to run in the cold...I did nothing but sit on my butt for a week. We headed back on the 29th, and I finally forced myself to get in 5 miles on the 31st. It was much harder than I would have expected. New Year's Day was a waste for me. I did 8 miles on the 2nd, but about 10 minutes slower than I had been running my 8 mile route! I then worked the 3rd all day. I had a 30k I was registered for on Sunday, but with the potential for fog and the possibility of having to then get up at 5 coupled with the heat (70 in the morning!) and humidity I skipped my first race :( I thought I'd get it in at home on my own, but then I was too depressed about skipping it. Monday and Tuesday of this week I was sick (again!!), but I finally got in 8 yesterday (only about 3 minutes slower than usual).

So that brings me to now. Looking back it just doesn't seem possible that I have only run three times in three weeks, but what can I do? I am of course disappointed, because I was hoping to do well in the marathon. Luckily I don't really have time to dwell on it! So here is the new plan: I did 8 yesterday, and will do core and strength today, 5 tomorrow and get in that 18 on Sunday. It will probably kill me, but oh well. Then I will get in 5, 8, 5 next week, with a little strength and core if I can force myself. My last long run was supposed to be this sunday, but at this point I think it is more important for me to get one more in so I will do 20 on the 19th (off for MLKJR day) and have a two week taper. Later that week I will run 5, 4, 5. Then next week 8, 3, 2, then two days rest, then 2 the day before, then marathon!

Any suggestions/alterations?

13 comments:

Allie said...

I know exactly how you feel...my break was the same way, I ran about 2 times in a month. It is taking some time to get back on track, but it is worth it. You can do it! Good Luck!

Denise said...

first of all, welcome back!! Hope you had a good Holiday and happy new year.

Sorry you've been sick, etc. Just be careful doing an 18 miler this wknd since you haven't been running that much. You don't want to get hurt before the marathon.

I'll be down there for the half, hopefully I'll see you!!

No Longer Using said...

i think your plan of attack from now sounds good-- i am using hal higdon's training plan and i was surprised but encouraged to read what he wrote about the long runs (so maybe try this for your 18-er)-- use walk breaks. you prolly will in the marathon so don't feel like you can't use them during long runs, as well, consider it practice. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Having never run - or even prepared to run - a marathon, I have established zero foundation for giving advice to potential marathoners; but, lucky for you, I never let that stop me.

What you need to change is your attitude/expectations! Stop being so hard on yourself! It was THE HOLIDAYS! You did what everyone, runners included, does at this time of year!

So run your marathon with diminished expectations and take whatever you get and try to be happy with it, sister! I promise, I'll stop by the minute you post about it and be happy for you.

Now, I have established no foundation for suggesting a Middle East Peace Plan, but that's not gonna stop me. Here's what they need to do ...

Best of luck, sister! Good to have you back!

Charisa said...

And did you have fun over your break? If so then it was not wasted at all :) There will be many more marathons to be 100% prepped for, go out and have fun and let the chips fall where they will - it's all good!

Nikemom said...

Just do it! Your plan sounds great and like Lacey states, walk if you have to. There is nothing wrong with that. Good luck! :D

Bob Hazen said...

The holliday break is always difficult - that's why I created my own 5k race on Dec 29th (my bday). It's a made up race but it helps to keep me focused and running in the cold through Christmas.

Good luck on your mary - hopefully it won't be too hard. Just take it VERY easy. I'll be looking forward to your race report.

Kelly said...

Welcome back! Sorry you haven't been running as much as you'd like. But I'm sure you'll rock it come race day. Keep focused, you can do it! I've never run anything over a 5K so whatever you had planned in terms of miles sounds great. Sorry I'm not of more help!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry your plan got derailed, but don't beat yourself up too much. Sometimes just living your life has to take precedence over getting your runs in, and that's ok!

Jess said...

The holidays can really throw off a training schedule, especially if you travel. Same thing happened to me when I was training for the Disney marathon in 2006 (for the 2007 race in January).

Don't worry, if you still have time to get in your two most important long runs and your taper, you should still be fine.

X-Country2 said...

Friends and family just take priority sometimes.

I'm with Denise about keeping a close watch on the injury if you're going to run 18. Beware of twinges or pains.

joyRuN said...

Welcome back :)

It's hard to get the running in when there's so much going on. I was glad I didn't have anything to train for over the holidays, because my running was sporadic & pathetic.

Just be careful with making up your long runs, & good luck!

Marci said...

Happy New Year Brooke. I'm sorry to read that you have been sick, etc, but you can still do this!
You plan sounds good. Just run it to enjoy, that marathon sounds like a blast!