Friday, January 30, 2009

They come in 3s.....

You know, bad things. Though I guess now it's more than three....Here I am two days away from my first marathon, and several things area going wrong.

1) I am sick..sort of. I have felt the beginnings of a cold all week. Aches, sore throat, my ears hurt, I have been taking zinc, vitamin C drops, multivitamins, and hydrating. Fingers crossed..

2) close your ears, men- 90% likely I will be having 'female issues' during the marathon. Great.

3) my garmin broke. Yesterday. Won't do anything...won't turn on, make a sound, nothing.

And those were only the first three really bad things. I have some twinges in one of my knees and one of my feet. My new shoes aren't working out, and the old ones are completely worn out...my ankles have killed my last couple of runs in them. And now the weather, which has reported a low of 40, high of 60 all week has changed to 55/67 with a 30% chance of rain.

AAAAHHH! Why are the running gods against me? Though I suppose the bright side is that it's my first one, so it doesn't really matter how I do. It would be far worse if this was my 10th or 11th and I was more competitive and going for time. Then all of this would really really suck.

But it still sucks!! :( I really wanted everything to go right. But I will keep my hopes up for a fun experience. Hopefully my garmin magically resurrects itself, and I can deal with feeling a little off as long as it doesn't get worse. Just please please please don't rain!!

12 comments:

No Longer Using said...

you've done everything you can under your control :) i can't believe your garmin broke, too, i'm hearing about so many people's breaking. apparently garmin will fix it for free, tho, check them out!!!! and that's terrible about having your period during a marathon like a cruel joke, but better to be prepared than surprised i guess!!

Unknown said...

Talk about Murphy's Law! That all really sucks, but try not to let it get you down. Get plenty of rest and hopefully that cold will go away. That stinks about the Garmin, I just got one yesterday adn haven't used it yet but I can only imagine how much that would throw me off if I was used to using it and it broke right before the race. Good Luck!

Jess said...

For the Garmin: try holding the "power" and "reset" buttons simultaneously for about 30 seconds. Then push the "power." It should reset itself. I had this same issue before and that worked. Otherwise, if it doesn't work, call garmin customer service, they're really good.

For the "female issues": Remember that women actually perform better when actually experiencing their period than during PMS. And if you're experiencing discomfort, just pop a few Advil. Once you start running, it won't be an issue.

As for the cold: Lots of runners get sick right before a big race. Stress about the race weakens the immune system. But you have a few days to rest and hydrate, so again, you shoul dbe fine come race day!

Good luck!

Lauren said...

It's not supposed to rain until the afternoon and the low Saturday night is still 46 so I think we'll be good on the weather. I altered my BCP so I wouldn't have my period during the race, but it shouldn't be too bad. As for the Garmin, I hope you fix it. If not, they'll have timers every mile so hopefully that won't be a problem either.

Denise said...

Hang in there and try not to worry. I had weird pains during my taper, too. You'll do great and the weather sounds perfect! (minus the rain)

joyRuN said...

Hmmm... this would explain the $h*teous nights I've had at work - the last 3.

That stinks about your 3. But you have trained & prepared yourself for this the best way that you can. I've heard of people doing their best when feeling their worst.

Good luck!

X-Country2 said...

Ahh, that does suck. You're going to do great though! Can't wait to read how it goes. Good luck!

Runner Leana said...

I was going to suggest exactly what Jess did for your Garmin. I had that problem before and that was the miraculous cure that it needed. Hopefully it helps you too.

Get lots of rest and hopefully you'll be okay for your race. I've had some fantastic races while I've been ill though, so don't despair!

Best of luck this weekend and I can't wait to read your report!!!

Kelly said...

Don't rain don't rain don't rain...did it work? I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Laura said...

I've had "female issues" during a marathon before - for me it didn't affect me that much. However, being sick SUCKS and I am so sorry!!!

I'm going to be wearing a bright green skirt and my yellow Marathon Maniacs jersey - hope to see you out there!

Laura said...

Brooke, you looked SO fabulous today!!! Still so much energy so late in the race, and I'm assuming since I didn't see you on the side of the road before I finished, you must have finished in a great time :) I have an awesome pic of you that I'll send - just let me know what e-mail to send to! absolutromantic at gmail

Steve Stenzel said...

DAMN IT!! I hope the race went OK!!

I have a very open wife, and we talk about her lady business all the time. So I didn't have to close my ears on #2.

;)

I hope everything worked out!!