Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Marathon Fuel

So in trying to plan as best I can for the upcoming marathon my biggest concern seems to be fuel. I have the endurance- my speed is NEVER regulated by my legs, but always by my stomach. When I get off pace and slow down it's always because I feel like I'm about to barf. This never happens until after I have started drinking and/or taking gels. So what to do?

My dad (a former fairly successful half marathoner) advises that all this gel/sports bean/shot block/gatorade nonsense is foolish, and that science has shown all you need is water, just don't drink more than you're using, figure out your sweat rate and all that. While I agree to a certain extent, I can FEEL the difference when I use gels (caffeine and all) but if it makes me slow down in the end due to stomach upset is it worth it?

So I looked at several gel comparisons yesterday, and I think now I am more confused! (FYI- before anyone suggests anything solid, that is out...I cannot chew while running). So what is making my stomach hurt...is it the sugar, the caffeine or the sodium? And since Gatorade makes me want to puke even more, shouldn't I stick to higher sodium gels (like Power Bar Gel)? I am a 'salty sweater' and think I do need electrolyte replacement....So what to do?

1) I am limited to what they have at my local running store. My last long run is Monday, and I'm not trying anything new during the marathon, so my last chance to practice is Monday (meaning no time to order anything off the internet).
2) I have been using Power Bar Gels more than Gu, but could it possibly be the higher sugar causing stomach upset? And if I switch to Gu, where do I get the electrolytes from?
3) I like Gu Roctane, but it isn't recommended to take for every gel, but rather that you should alternate...
4) has anyone tried E-gels? Like them better/worse than Gu/Gu Roctane/PowerBar Gels?
5) caffeine- worth the possible stomach upset? I think so....
6) Just go with water/ Gatorade? Maybe I could handle the Gatorade without the gels?
7) I do NOT like Cliff Shots. Not sure why, but tried once and made me feel even worse...

So you see my dilemma. It is very frustrating being limited by digestion issues rather than muscle power or respiration!

What has worked for you?

14 comments:

Marcy said...

Yes the higher sugar in Power Gels can give you GI issues. At least for me they do LOL.

I've tried e-gels. And they taste like poo. You can def taste the salt in them. BUT that's my personal opinion. You might like them. As for as electrolytes and Gu go? You'll have to pick up some Nuun tabs or some other for of salts.

I like CarbBoom. Low sugar and it does have electrolytes in them. I think they taste alright too.

No Longer Using said...

Hmmm I haven't done any experimentation yet!!! What about a drink other than gatorade?

Jenn said...

You didn't get your prize? I sent it out in December. I will see what I can do about getting you another one! Sorry about that.

Jenn

Denise said...

Wow, I went through this the week before the Philly marathon. I figured out that the gels with the caffeine were upsetting my stomach. So I switched to some Gu w/ no caffeine. Since Gu doesn't have as much salt in it, I also ate some margarita cliff bloks (this flavor has added salt). I do not drink gatorade either, only water, so you we definitely need to replace the salt loss. I don't think drinking just water along the way is a good idea. You need some sort of replacement. What about taking a short walk break to chew something if it's solid. A few second walk break would be better than pooping out because you get sick...

There are also salt capsules you can put in your water. I haven't tried this yet but did carry some tiny salt packets with me for the marathon just in case. But you'll most likely want some calories along the way.

Charisa said...

I think you are right that if you sweat a lot then you do need some electrolyte replacement. Could it be that you are taking in too much gel in too short of a time-frame? Are you taking water with the gel? I used to try to take gel with gatorade and that was too much. Also, I take the gel in small doses - I don't take the whole thing at once. Good luck!!

Allie said...

I wish I could leave some amazing advice...but I am like you and have many questions. And since I have not gone on a run long enough to even warrant gels, etc. I am going to have to experiment when the time comes. I hope you get something figured out, good luck!

Jess said...

You may get stomach aches because of the sugar in gels and GUs. Try using something with less refined carbs, like Hammer Gel. Otherwise, I like Shot Bloks. Also, if Gatorade upsets your stomach too, try mixing half of it with water.

And personally, for a half marathon, I don't use any fuel -- just water -- but for a full, I think it's advisable to replace the calories.

Aron said...

my friend found that all gels except gu contain some form of dairy... so if you have any issues with dairy this could be causing it? i used to get stomach aches with gu until i started drinking straight water right after and that seems to help. good luck!

Lauren said...

I use the e-gel strawberry slam almost exclusively. I've tried the powerbar gels and they are WAY too salty for me. The egel one is tasty (relatively) and I've never had any problems. Although I never get the type of stomach problems you do from the gels. A dietician here at work is running the half marathon with us and she stops and eats 2 fig newtons. That was more appealing to me than the shot blocks, but I would have to stop to eat them too. Maybe you could try those salt pills. I think I'll run for Donuts talked about them in his race report from his last marathon. What about orange slices/orange juice for the calories? Basically, I've got nothing.

Nitmos said...

Have you considered simple salt capsules, favored by triathletes/cyclists, couple with the water/Gatorade on the course? However, I'd caution against trying something brand new before you have a chance to try it out before the big day.

Speaking of which, happy tapering almost?)!

RunToTheFinish said...

I have no great suggestions except to say I can't stand gu things of any sort they make me sick

:) said...

Nice blog! :)

Unknown said...

I like the Clif Shots. I like anything gummy and they remind me of gummy bears. It's irritating sometimes when they get stuck in my teeth.

Laura said...

I've had some GI issues in race but haven't ever traced them to specific fuel - I'll try to think about that in the future.

Otherwise, I'm pretty non-picky. I haven't really noticed performance differences with different fuel sources, but I think I'm kind of an oblivious runner. As long as it tastes good, I'm happy!