Monday, January 26, 2009

starting to get nervous....6 days!!

OMG...so strange to have something you have been waiting for for 6 months finally almost be here! 6 more days til the marathon...hoping the weather is good and that it doesn't rain! I plan on wearing this shirt, which is my absolute fave right now...the Brooks Equilibrium short sleeve:

It is so comfortable. I am going to wear Moving Comfort running capris, my other fave. I think I have decided to stick with the old shoes. I have done two 5 mile runs in the new ones, and honestly, I just don't think they are working for me! :( I feel like I will never find perfect shoes. I have now wasted hundreds of dollars in the last year, and the only ones that have sort of worked were the Asics Gel Nimbus 9s. Why, you may wonder did I not buy new Asics? Well these ones were never perfect either, and I wanted to get something that fit better. I swear I hate when you can't buy the pair you try on! I truly think different colors of the same model sometimes fit different too! I tried on the Mizuno Wave Riders from the Mizuno Running Lab, but couldn't buy the demo pair. I had to order a pair, and it came in pink (I tried on teal) and just doesn't fit the same :( It feels like I am running with a lump under each arch and my heal...they feel too supportive and stiff, and I think they have made my knee hurt. Could just be overuse, but either way, I am sticking with the worn out Asics for the marathon and will figure out what to do after that.

I am really excited about Sunday though! I just want to enjoy it and have it be a good day. I am plagued by race day troubles....all my training runs will go great, with no forethought, poor sleep/eating, whatever...then when I try to plan it all goes to sh*t. I just hope I can relax and not stress out over it! How do you all fall asleep? I know this will be my biggest problem. I am 100% positive I will sleep about two hours. And I know the night before is what really matters, but still! Race starts at 7, and we will be in a hotel three blocks away, so I plan to wait at the hotel as long as possible. (Bathroom and all). Figure we will get up at 4:45 or so in order to eat a couple of hours before the start. I planned on having two packs of oatmeal. This is what I had before my 21 mile run, and it seemed to work. Then maybe a banana an hour before? I didn't try that, but I felt a little empty at the beginning of my last long run...I know everyone recommends eating 2 hours ahead, but I feel like I burn through that before starting to run! I am bringing 5 gels, and might grab whatever else they have available. I am trying to find Nuun around here, because I think it would work for me since it doesn't have sugar...otherwise I will bring my Crystal Light Electrolyte packs. I am going to use the fuel belt, but with only one bottle. It started to hurt my back on the 21 mile run because all three bottles were pretty much constantly full. With plenty of opportunity to refill I think I'll just bring one. But then I can dump a few cups in and drink when I want, rather than only at the aid stations. I really hope I can hold it the whole time and not have to stop at a Port-o-let...but I have a bladder the size of a walnut so that's not likely :(

All in all I am just excited it's finally here and am glad my parents will be there to see it!

12 comments:

No Longer Using said...

YAY!!! i was all smiley after reading your post, hehehe. i'm very excited for you, too!!!!! go get 'em, tiger!!!!!!!!!!!!! roooarrrr! hehehe!!!

Denise said...

What hotel will you be at?? I'm SO excited for this race. I wish I was doing the full, but I know my ITB can't handle that right now. Your post got me so excited!!

As for sleeping, don't worry about the night before. You might actually surprise youself. I know I did! But try really hard to get a good night sleep on Friday, if nothing else.

I can't wait to celebrate after the race. I've never been to NO!!

Maggs said...

It's going to be a great race for you. can't wait to hear all about it.

Aron said...

YAYYYY race week! SO exciting :) you are going to have a blast!!

try to get a lot of sleep friday night, thats the most important night. the night before is usually not the best sleep. but before both my marathons i had a great nights sleep the friday before and it really helped.

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lauren said...

I had the same problem with my new shoes. I'm going to stick with the old worn out ones for the race, too. It's getting close. See you Saturday!

Jess said...

Glad you're so excited. That's a good sign.

Allie said...

How exciting! You will do great. Too bad about shoes. I am lucky, most shoes I run in are fine. I do tend to like Nike's though.

Razz said...

I worried about sleeping the night before. A big bowl of pasta and 2 beers did the trick for me. You'll be fine. Have fun!

joyRuN said...

So exciting!!

Enjoy & good luck :) You sound good & ready.

Unknown said...

Yay, it's almost here! You'll do great I'm sure, even if you can't sleep the night before. That stinks about the shoes. Hopefully you can find some soon that work for you and buy them in bulk:)

Matt Hart said...

here's a link to finding nuun near you - http://nuun.com/shop/findnuun.php

good luck!

Runner Leana said...

If you are worried about the amount of time between eating breakfast and the race, then bring a gel with you to have just before the race start. Calories, and you use them all the time so it won't upset your stomach.

That sucks about your shoes! Maybe the new release of the Gel Nimbus will work better for you?

Anyhow, good luck with your marathon!!!