Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Any last minute suggestions? 10 days!!!

So the marathon is in 10 days and I am so nervous!! I know I can finish it, it will just be up in the air as to how I will do. Initially, when my training was right on track I actually had hopes of finishing under 4 hours. (I know- this is ambitious for a first marathon, but my back in November I was on track for it!).

Anyhow- things have changed. After running only four days in December (hush! I know!) I have had to adjust any time goals I had to basically....no goals. Well, that's not entirely true; I would like to hit 4:20, but I think 4:30 is probably more realistic. Either way, I am just aiming to finish upright and happy, and I will take it all as lessons learned for next time.

So I know you shouldn't make any last minute changes, but out of curiosity does anyone have any last minute tips? There were only two things I was thinking of changing... 1) I have never worn a hat while running, but thought it might conserve heat in the morning (if marathon day is similar to today it might only be 30 degrees!) and wick heat away as it gets warmer....also I got sunburned on my 21 mile run because it was so sunny! Doesn't seem like a huge change, but I'm worried about being too hot...thoughts? And 2) and this is a big one- I am thinking of wearing pretty new shoes. I got fitted last week for some Mizunos by their mobile running lab, but the local store here that they were at didn't have my size. I have been running in Asics Gel Nimbus 9s, but they are dead. My ankles and knees have been killing me. Of course because they didn't have my size and had to order them they won't be in until this Friday, most likely. That would give me three runs to try them out on....an 8 miler, a 3 miler and a 2 miler. Is that too few miles to give them a try in the marathon? I know everyone always says don't use new shoes, and you need to break them in and all that, but every running shoe professional I've ever spoken to has said that is a myth and that shoes, if properly fitting, should not need 'breaking in'. So what do you think? I am leaning towards one last run in the Asics, but the Mizunos were just so comfortable!

11 comments:

Marcy said...

I used newer shoes marathon day. I think I got one long run in them and then the next time I wore them was marathon day. I was fine. It it was me I'd do it :P

Denise said...

I wore newer shoes on marathon day but I did 3 or 4 long runs in them first.

As for temperature, I didn't wear a hat for the marathon and it was barely 20 degrees. Why don't you get a throw away hat and start off with it on and then throw it away as you warm up? that's what I did w/ my shirt, too. Wore an old fleece and tossed it along the way.

As for time, I know it's so hard to not try to set a goal. I did the same thing. But the last thing you want is to disappoint yourself. This needs to be a great experience so you finish strong and wanting to do another. Use this first one as a learning experience.

I am so excited to get down there! And I'm actually looking forward to the weather...that will be warm for me!

No Longer Using said...

oh my gosh, girl!!! heh. i think if you wear the sneakers for three runs and take precautions like lubing where you usually get blisters and wear thick socks,... you'd be okay. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Jess said...

You have ten days to test out the new shoes. If they feel good, go with them.

ShoreTurtle said...

I wore newer shoes for my first marathon. I broke them in with a long run and a couple of short runs.

I set three goals (a safe goal, an in-between goal and the stars-are-aligned-everything is perfect goal). For me, the key thing was to try to enjoy the experience. You only get one 1st marathon. Make the most of it.

C said...

Wear the shoes that are comfiest to you right now. If that's the new pair, then there you go.

Oh, and I'm from a very small town in NH called Hillsboro. I'm not a big city gal like you. ;)

joyRuN said...

I think you should be fine in the Mizuno's. Better blisters/chafeage than damage from lack of support.

Runner Leana said...

I'd definitely take newer shoes over the ones that are worn out.

I agree with Denise on just aiming to finish as opposed to setting a time goal. No matter the training, a marathon is an entirely different beast and even after three I haven't quite figured it out. You have worked so hard, and have such great running ability that you don't want to run the risk of disappointing yourself if you don't make that goal.

Frayed Laces said...

Know what? You should simply run this race and ENJOY it. I didn't do that during my first and wish I did.

Marci said...

I have worn almost new shoes on marathon day, but they were identical to shoes I already have. Good luck and enjoy the race!

Laura said...

I'm with Marci - I've worn absolutely brand new out-of-the-box shoes for a marathon, but only because they were the same model I've worn successfully in the past. However, I say as long as you get in an hour of consecutive running in them and they feel okay, they're probably fine. Worst case you get a few blisters.

I'm not sure how big the field is, but want to meet up either at the start or after the race?