Wednesday, December 3, 2008

12 on Tuesday

Well, I had to do 11, but wanted to do 13, so I split the difference and did 12. I was proud of this only because until 9.43 miles I had only planned on 11. This is how I often trick myself; I go out with only a certain distance in mind and find I can often get myself to run another mile or two once I am soooo close. I actually thought about 13, but it was really cold yesterday and it had all my muscles locking up on me and aching in the last mile. The feet were good, though, so I think as long as the warm weather stays away a couple of months I might not suffer such blisters and hot, hot feet as I have been dealing with lately.

I had another success as well.....the fuel belt! I didn't get out the door until 3:30. Sunset is at 4:59, so you pretty much have dusk until 5:15 or 5:20...then it's full-on dark. I knew I couldn't waste time stopping to refill at water fountains and the like, so I forced myself to wear it. It was definitely nice to not have to carry my gels and water bottle in my hand, but it was hard to get used to. It adds so much weight, it seems. And of course since I had it with me I found I only drank a bottle and a half (of three). I'm sure had I not had it I would have easily drank three bottles....but it was so cold I don't think I was sweating much or something...I just didn't want to drink. I only drank what I did to wash down the gels.

I had PowerGels yesterday...vanilla and strawberry banana. I really find I prefer chocolate flavors, but they sell only those two flavors (and only PowerGel) at the grocery I go to, so unless I go to one of the running stores I'm stuck with those. I actually think they work better for me too, and while I think the vanilla flavor is kinda gross, it doesn't have caffeine and doesn't bother my stomach at all. The strawberry banana was actually good, and did have some caffeine that helped in the end. I do like the Gu Roctanes, and definitely noticed more muscle soreness after this long run (the roctane has an amino acid blend that's supposed to help with the buildup of lactic acid), but the roctane's are over $2 a piece, so I may reserve that for races.

So it started out ok, I was resigned to having to get in 11 even though every bone and muscle in my body REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO....and miles 1-3 were ok. I had a gel at 4.5 miles, and actually found I still had a lot of energy by 8.5 where I took the second one...I think the cool weather really helped invigorate me a litte. At that point I looped through town and began heading back home and noticed I was at 9.43. I added another loop through town, and didn't look at the garmin but figured it was at a little over 10 miles. I knew from where I was to home was about 1.2, so if I added in the .6 mile loop around the block by my house I would be close to 12. I didn't look until about .5 from the house, and I was at 10.97. I added in an extra block there, and checked as I passed the house and I was at 11.6. One more block and finally, 12 miles! I was barely out of breath, but was really tight and stiff, especially through the hips and hamstrings. I am never sore or stiff in the quads...weird.

I iced for a bit, and then ate and watched the Biggest Loser. Don't bother with this paragraph if you don't watch the show....I sooo wish that Amy would've sent Vicky home two weeks ago. Then Amy was stupid and got herself voted out, and now Vicky is being just as stupid! Heba and Ed are her biggest competition, and she could have voted Heba out last week, and Ed out last night....now she will be the next to go, I'm sure...amateurs! Don't they know IT IS A GAME....don't keep people around just because they are your friends...this is for money, people!

Anyway, after that I read and was off to bed, but not before searching high and low for the camera...Will was supposed to put Thanksgiving and tree pictures on the computer, but hadn't. I couldn't find it anywhere, so I will have to put those up later. Rest day today, then 5 or 6 tomorrow before my second half marathon Saturday!

9 comments:

Marcy said...

The plus of wearing a belt is that the more you drink the less weight there is to carry. An incentive to keep chugging those fluids LOL

X-Country2 said...

Way to rock the run! I'm a huge fan of raspberry and other fruity Hammer Gels when I run. The thought of chocolate or vanilla sounds pretty gross to me. :o)

Good luck with your half coming up!

Jess said...

Nice job on the 12!

RunToTheFinish said...

Agreed on Amy, she should have just bit the bullet and gotten rid of the meany!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Good luck with the upcoming half, sister!

Think of the belt as a Bat Utility Belt. Do you think Batman - be he Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, or Christian Bale - would be caught without the Most Important Component of His S&M Bondage Get-Up? I think not.

Without the Utility Belt, he'd look something like this.

I didn't want to do that, but you need to be scared straight. Hope it worked.

Aron said...

awesome job getting the 12 in!!!!

lol and i totally agree with marcy... once you start drinking it feels SO much better!!

Denise said...

You'll get used to the belt...I even wore mine in the marathon so I could drink when I wanted to. It does feel heavy the first few times, but it won't bother you after a while.

And I agree...the vanilla is nasty. I think I'm sticking w/ the Cliff shot chocolate for the time being. No caffeine, so it doesn't upset my stomach.

Unknown said...

Great job getting your 11 in! And Vicky is so terrible, I get so irritated watching her. Hopefully she'll go home soon!

joyRuN said...

Good job!

Glad to hear the belt's working out :)