Monday, December 22, 2008

0

Yep. That's how much I ran last week. To my credit, I had various extenuating circumstances, but still. I have excuses for the early part of last week, but when I went to Florida Thursday night I had explained to my best friend a MILLION times that I HAD TO RUN 17 miles (at least) on Friday. Unfortunately, my flight got in late, we were up until 2:30 talking, and when 7:30 rolled around I was feeling on edge and nauseated from lack of sleep (the three cups of coffee I immediately downed didn't help either) so I just sat on her couch all morning staring off into space.

It didn't get any better...I drank two diet cokes next, and by the time we headed out for the 2 hour drive to her mom's I was feeling worse. Then I decide to go in the car with her sister and brother-in-law (who had an important conference call to make)....let's just say I spent the 25 minutes he was on the phone trying not to toss cookies in the backseat and begging for the air to be cranked up. They froze in the front seat, but at least I kept everything down.

Unfortunately the rest of the weekend didn't go any better. I had the birthday party for her mom that night, Kate's (the best friend) graduation Saturday, and the wedding shower yesterday. Last night I went to bed at 12:30 and got up at 5 for my flight. I really really really need to run today, but I am no good without sleep. So what do I do?

The plan is to try to get in at least 5 miles in today, then if I can do 6 tomorrow and some later this week...of course I fly to NH on the 24th were they have been getting dumped with snow, so the likelihood of running outside isn't too high. HELP!! Will I be in big trouble if I don't get a long run in until next Tuesday? That will be two weeks since my 25k, with one week entirely off. I have long runs planned for next Tuesday, the following Sunday, and the following Friday January 9th....then the marathon is Feb 1.

So I think I'll be ok...I'll do 18 Tuesday, the following sunday is a 30k, then 20 on January 9th. My only concern is that that there will only be three days between the first and second, and four days between the second and third....is that too short? The only other option is to push the last one til Monday the 12th. I will have to use vacation time either way, and mentally I was just thinking it would be better at the end of the week (Friday) rather than the beginning. Thoughts? Am I in trouble?

8 comments:

Denise said...

be really careful running your long runs so close together. It takes a lot more time for your body to recover after them and you run the risk of injury if you over do it.

This is a rough time of year to train, I bet. Too much going on!

Bob Hazen said...

I wouldn't sweat it too much - squeeze in the runs as you can. This time of the year is difficult at best. Cardio won't suffer too much and just do the long run when you can.

Aron said...

make sure you get enough recovery time between your long runs. your long runs are really important but you want to make sure and be recovered so you dont get hurt! hang in there, it will all work out :)

Unknown said...

This is such a hard time of the year to try to train, don't beat yourself up over it!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

The good thing about doing zero miles?

Your output can only go up from there.

The bad things?

Well, I won't point them out. I think you're already aware of them.

But it is that time of year, you know.

Plus, I think your managing not to yak in the back of that car was Inspiringly Heroic. I deem it the equivalent of 10 miles run at a 9 minute pace.

(My system of converting barf-suppression to miles-run is not yet accepted by any accrediting Running Agency, but they're all so political. That's the only reason.)

joyRuN said...

I'm learning about the downside of a spring marathon. It's tough getting the training in this time of year between the weather & holiday busyness.

X-Country2 said...

That's a pretty quick turn-around between long runs. Particularly if you run them on concrete. I'd vote you be extra careful about any aches and pains that might lead to injury.

RunToTheFinish said...

oye busy busy. I say make running something that destresses you, not causes you stress