Wednesday, August 27, 2008

When does it get easier?

I wasn't feeling well yesterday, and slept a few hours in the afternoon....I think the rest really helped me, but I still wasn't feeling TOTALLY refreshed. At the least it prevented me from heading out until 6 pm...at which time it was still 88 degrees! I have truly had enough of summer, but unfortunately I don't think I can really expect the weather to change drastically (in the afternoon anyway) for two months at least. Which may mean switching to morning runs, which would be really difficult during the week since I start work at 7....Who knows...maybe things will cool down sooner than I think.

So anyway, had four miles planned for yesterday, but I just wasn't feeling it so I stopped at 3.14 and walked the rest of the last mile. I was only wearing my new (too small) shoes for the second time, and by three miles my left toes felt bruised. I am hoping this is only because my toenails are so short right now, or that the shoes are just new. I know a little of it is psychological- I would've thought they fit fine a month ago...it's only since I read that your shoes should be a half to a full size bigger than what you normally wear that I feel they're too small. Needless to say- I can't return 'em since I've worn them twice, so in a worst case scenario I'll use them only for really short runs or for everyday wear. But I'm still hoping they'll break in a little. So the three miles went like this: 11:04, 10:42, 10:51....still far off my past training pace, but what can I say; I've never been fast! My hope for the marathon isn't to be fast either, but rather just to finish feeling relatively good, so hopefully that's possible.

I think some strength training and cross training will help, so I'm checking out a gym this afternoon. It's right near my work, which might make it possible to work out in the am, since we have showers at work...something I'll have to keep in mind if the high temps do persist! If only I'd joined in May I wouldn't have lost three months....grrrr....hindsight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. Nice job getting the run in. Hopefully, the weather will start to cool off. Here in NC it is starting to cool off faster, however the humidity the past few days has been awful.

On the sneaker front, I always wear the size all my shoes are in. I never go up.