Monday, August 25, 2008

Thank you, Fay...

For some cooler, wetter weather! Well, Sunday, anyway. I shouldn't really be happy for tropical storms in Louisiana, but I guess it's ok since Fay didn't amount to much....

So Friday was a good rest day, other than the fact that I worked 15 hours...with 7 of that running around at the restaurant. I really need to make better work shoes a priority- it's pretty stupid to be so careful with running shoes only to work 30+ hours in shoes that will soon cripple me they are so painful. And speaking of shoes- my new shoes came on Friday, which I was happy about, and I was able to try them out on Saturday. Of course because I never have luck with online ordering, they don't fit the same as the ones I tried on in the store. Even though they are the SAME size and MODEL. Totally annoying. They are supposedly 1/2 size bigger than I normally buy, but actually feel tighter than my last shoes! Totally disappointing considering how much they cost. :( My only hope is that my feet are just swollen from the heat lately and that they may fit a little better soon...I think this is wishful thinking and I'm probably going to have to go buy the ones I tried on anyway....I'm hoping I could use the tight ones for short runs and the others for the long days.

So I didn't exercise on Friday, but my legs and feet were still pretty fatigued on Saturday. I suppose going from no running at all the past three months straight to a 20 mile week was probably a bad move. Needless to say, I had three miles planned for Saturday, and was excited to try my new shoes (even though they felt snug), but as soon as I started I just wasn't feeling it. It was 9 am, but was already super hot, so I quit after a very rough mile. I walked back, and was glad I quit. I think sometimes you need to listen to your body. Besides I worked a double shift on Saturday, so I had plenty of running around to do anyway!

Sunday was the New Orleans Track Club 45th Anniversary race, a three miler in City Park. Getting up at 6 was pretty tough considering I didn't even get home from work the day before until 10. I think I was in bed by 11:30, but I was still tired. I was glad to do this race, however, because it was the same course we ran for the Al Briede Gold Cup in May, so made for a convenient comparison. I ran it in May in 26:46, and yesterday in 28:16, so that's not too bad I suppose. I've lost 1:30, but I've had three months off!

I worked after the race, and was limping by the time I got off...I really need new shoes! I relaxed the rest of the day and even went to bed by 9, so I feel a little better today. Luckily today is a rest day too, so hopefully I will feel a little refreshed by tomorrow.

No comments: