Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Cold Front- only 85 degrees!

So after my abysmal run on Monday, I decided I would go out slower for the 4 miles I had planned for yesterday. Aside from making me feel like the slowest person in the world, this worked, and I was able to cover the whole distance without walking even though it was probably 85 degrees out. So good and bad, I guess.... I finished it, but in 46:20! This made me feel rather pathetic, but at least the miles went like this: 12:27, 11:39, 11:23, 10:51....so I did improve. (I must also add that for the first mile I had to go back in the house because I forgot to give my husband $$ to take the cat to the vet, and I didn't pause the garmin...I know- excuses!). So I did improve each mile, and actually it felt pretty good, which is something that's been missing from my runs since March.

When I first started training for the Crescent City Classic back in January I got to a point where I enjoyed running and it actually felt comfortable. Gradually, however, that feeling disappeared and was replaced by typical running aches and pains....that never went away no matter how much rest, icing, stretching, etc. I was doing. Ankle pain would gradually travel to my knee and hip in my left leg, and what I thought was a hamstring pull in my right leg I now think is a lingering case of sciatica....So it was nice that yesterday actually felt pretty good- huh...maybe those running experts are onto something! I definitely think doing more pilates this time around will help, and I'm also trying to get used to running without music. I think many of my previous problems were form-related, so this time I'm trying to focus on breathing, pacing, and form, and for me that means no music. If I listen to music, I am always faster, but often this is at the expense of good posture and breathing. I am trying to do this injury free, so I want to be as by-the-book as possible. I expect this will be really difficult once I get into 10+ mile runs...unless I find a running partner....too much silence!

So today I have 3 miles planned and will hopefully see some improvement. I am definitely impatient, given the mileage and pace I was running up until the end of May I am hoping muscle memory will get me back there relatively quickly....That and my new shoes which should be here Saturday...then I will be so fast :) Mostly for now I am happy that I have made it almost through the first week without skipping any planned workouts. I feel very motivated and hope this feeling continues, though I am sure there will be bad weeks.

I hope to soon figure out this whole blog-thing as well, and will be linking my training schedule, workout log, and pictures of my routes and stuff, but it will probably be slow going considering my complete incompetence when it comes to computers!

No comments: