Friday, May 8, 2009

Joined a gym!

Yay. So I am officially back on track...though at a much lower intensity :) I joined a gym, something I have been wanting to do forever, but have simply been too cheap. I would convince myself I can run outdoors, do handweights, pushups, squats and abs in my house...who needs a gym?

Which is fine for winter training. For the Mardi Gras Marathon I started in August, and though it was still hot til late October (I know!) November through January when the mileage really got up there the weather was great. Unfortunately this doesn't work as well when training for an October Marathon. We are steadily in the 80s everyday now, and it will only get higher. Humidity is like 120%, I swear, and that makes it really really hard to work out because you feel like you are breathing in water. Also the strange thing about the south is that the hottest time of day can be 5pm...right when you want to work out and think it should be getting cooler.

So yeah. I joined the Pelican Athletic Club here in town, and I LOVE IT. Since I moved from CA I have been missing gym classes, sitting by the pool, using the treadmills in AIR CONDITIONING!! I didn't want to run much in AC last year because the marathon had the potential to be warm, but given the Marine Corps Marathon is in the end of October in DC it should be ok this time. I am super pumped and hope to go alot, so I should be in a lot better shape than I was for the marathon last year. Only ran 2 miles yesterday, but hey, it's a start!

Anyone else doing Marine Corps?

6 comments:

No Longer Using said...

yay you are back!!!! :) that's awesome you joined a gym and are excited to go. i need a gym makeover.. i go to Planet Fitness cuz it is $10/month(!!) but it doesn't have any classes or anything cool about it. i guess that is why it is so cheap, tho! i would like the option of classes when i'm not motivated to get my own butt going. and LOL about the Kettle Chips... yes that is why i buy the smallest size bag cuz regardless of size i tend to eat the whole tihng...!!!! :) unless of course elliot is there and then he eats it for me which is both good and bad, hah.

P.O.M. said...

Phew - we're both back!

X-Country2 said...

Welcome back!

I keep wanting to join a gym, but I'm too cheap. :o)

Jess said...

Congrats on joining the gym! Glad you like it.

Lauren said...

But does the gym have a bar? Long runs on a treadmill, yuck! We're going to have some fun training!

Aron said...

yay glad you are back!!